10

❝You're not in the dark, far from the light

You're not in the dark, far from the light...

—— ༻𐬽✧𐬽༺ ——

KIARA
The secret session had now been going on for hours. It was now 5:43pm and it was going to be sunset soon. I was kind of worried about the session ending at a late time, and was debating on whether I should text Malakhi to tell him and Levi not to pick me up. I could just get a taxi. Levi didn't need to come and pick me up if it was dark. He said he wanted to go out with his friends.

That wasn't the only thing I was worrying about. People at the group home were definitely wondering where I was. Even though I knew it probably wasn't possible, I hoped that Julie and Louis would be back at the group home in time for when the session ends. God knows what 'Miss Trunchbull' would do when I walked through the front door. My leg had now started bouncing up and down again because of these thoughts. Of course, I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay with Taylor. She has made me feel safer in one day than i've felt in the past six years. I noticed how she kept glancing at me this entire night, checking if I was okay.

I was currently walking around the living room, running my fingers along the smooth, wooden cabinet that held Taylor's grammy awards. The fact that I was actually stood here had still not sunken into my mind yet, and I don't think it ever will. Here I was, stood in Taylor Swift's living room, in front of a cabinet that held some of her biggest accomplishments.

One thing that wouldn't leave my mind was the fact that in a couple of hours I would be back on that coach, on my way back to the group home. This would all be over. I would be on my way back to the place that is responsible for most of my trauma. The place that holds one of the people who give me new scars every week.

But I was grateful for this. Just for today, Taylor made me feel wanted. Even though we have mostly spoken through eye contact this entire night, I was able to tell that she cares. I saw that her eyes held genuine concern when I was on the verge of tears earlier. And I saw that her eyes held kindness whenever she glanced at me from across the room. It felt like her eyes were telling me that she cared about me. She cared about me even though she didn't have to. She didn't have to waste a single one of her thoughts on me. But she did.

"Kiara, right?" A voice next to me spoke. I averted my eyes to my right to see a girl with blonde hair that looked around my age. Giving her a polite smile, I nodded at her.

"I'm Ophelia. I um- kinda overheard what that girl said to you earlier. It was out of line. I'm sorry she said that." She told me in a remorseful tone, referring to Lila's newfound friend. Okay, this was going well. She seems nice. But I can't get my hopes up. She probably just feels bad. She's not going to want to be friends with me.