𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

"This is too slow," Jisung said through gritted teeth. He couldn't prevent the trembling in his voice, nor could he control his panic. '"We need more people. Helicopters. Something."

The detective's face was serious, but he was absurdly calm. Far too calm for the situation. "Sir, I assure you that we are using all the means at our disposal. But you must understand that we cannot pursue a voluntary disappearance rapidly."

"Voluntary? It's been days!" Jisung's voice gets louder and he tigers to and fro in front of his house. "Hyunjin has no reason to disappear, completely, for two days."

"According to the employers, the man has repeatedly not come home for weeks and then returned drunk, so we can't eliminate that possibility," the detective said with a dry undertone. He continued with more empathy, "We take this seriously, otherwise I wouldn't be here at all. But given the circumstances..."

"What circumstances?" Jisung interrupted harshly and turned back to the bulky man. "Just do your job... please." He racked his hands through his already tousled hair. "It was dark out and some people could definitely mistake him for..." he didn't finish, instead reaching for his coffee that was standing on his steps. Goosebumps covered his skin and as the liquid ran down his throat. It was in harsh contrast to the freezing weather outside.

"How sure can you be that nothing happened to him, Detective Spring? Drunk or not. So sure you'd bet his life on it?"

His voice failed at the last sentence. The despair in his chest grew with every second. He couldn't just sit around here and wait for news. He could not concern himself with what might happen if they were too late.

He would not survive losing Hyunjin.

"I love this man detective Spring," he said tensely "I won't rely on your opinion or gut feeling."

His dark face took on a soft look before he lifted his hand and squeezed Jisung's shoulder. As much as Jisung would like to shake it off, he pulls himself together. "We're doing what we can, mister Han. And so are you."

.

At that moment, his phone rang. But before he could even ask, Changbin already interrupted his thoughts. "No sight of him. I even went to the last district, Jisung."

"You can't be serious..." Jisung whispered, more to himself than to his friend.

"I'm on the main road to the next city," Changbin's voice pulled him from his spiraling fear.

"But that's a good hour away, just turn around. He has to be-" His hand was back in his hair, tugging at his strands till it hurt.

"No hear me out. What if, one way or another, Hyunjin got into someone's car. Even if he was intoxicated they might've just taken him with them. There are quite a few commuters coming from there."

Jisung sat on the steps. "Right. Okay, keep in touch with me okay? And stop at any shadow that moves besides the road. I don't care how stupid you might feel. Who knows what happened to him..."

"You can trust me Jisung, we'll find him," Changbin's voice rang in his ear. Jisung wanted to believe him, he really did. But this city wasn't necessarily known for its safety or reliable police. "Okay..." The line rang and he stared at Changbin's contact.

.

Anger boiled up inside him, hot and caustic. He clenched his teeth so hard that his jaw ached. Someone will pay for this. For every hair he touched on Hyunjin's head, for every second he had to suffer fear. Jisung would make sure that no one could hurt him again.

With this thought the guilt rose in him. He could have prevented all this. If only he had run after him. If they had never argued.

"I wish I had never met you Han Jisung." The words stabbed into his heart like a searing scalpel. Those could not be the last words Hyunjin said to him.