Chapter 08 - The Equinox Gala

The Equinox Gala.

Neat.

And pretty quick, too.

You had been expecting them to hold a grand celebration to announce their arrival in the country. You, however, did not anticipate it happening this soon. They're pretty quick and swift with their actions, you'll give them that.

You take a mental note to keep this in mind when negotiating with them in the near future.

By the time you were done with sorting out your next moves in your mind, the women, or well, more precisely, the stylists, were also done with your makeup and hair.

They help you slip up the dress that had arrived earlier, take their sweet time adjusting it and finally step back to inspect their work. Three pairs of sharp gazes eyeing you, up and down, multiple times, before giving a firm nod and a small satisfied smile.

"Parfait." They whisper in unison.

You sigh in relief.

These women are really hard to please. Or maybe, they're just prime examples of perfectionists, whatever the case may be because the last time, which you remember as clear as day, they spent two, yes, two entire hours adjusting and readjusting your dress, hair and even the makeup for a business dinner with the CEOs of other major companies. Your neck and back were screaming for mercy by the time they approved the look with the same smile plastered over their faces. Perhaps it's their signature smile when they finally achieve the look they were going for, who knows.

The tallest of the three steps forward, gently places her hands over your shoulders and spins you around so you could face the mirror. For a second, you were nervous and didn't know what to expect. You had seen the dress, yes, but combined with the hair, the makeup, and actually wearing it? You were-

Wow...

Your eyes widen in disbelief.

The pattern-less gold dress that hugged your figure was glistening aggressively under the glaring lights of the studio as if hundreds and thousands of little gold stars were plucked from the night sky and sewn right onto the dress, that reached all the way to the floor, almost touching it.

The deep round neck with thin straps that hung over the shoulders, and the bold leg slit that reached up to the top of your right thigh further intensified the overall glamour of the look. It was bold. Alluring. Exceedingly captivating.

You reach out your hand to touch the soft waves of your hair in amazement

"Oh mon! Non, non, non! Madame...!" The shortest women of the three rushes in front of you, removing your hand from your hair and carefully examines your hair in case it sustained any damages. "This won't do! Don't touch! Not yet- Patience. Patience." She uttered in her deep silky French accent.

"Ah- Yes. Yes, I'm sorry!" You drop your hand to your sides and smile sheepishly at her.

"Miss Park~ I'm here! It's almost time for me to..." Yuna enters the studio and stops abruptly in her tracks when she catches sight of you. Her jaw unhinges, and her eyes widen in awe.

It takes her a few moments before she regains her senses and covers her wide open mouth with her left hand. "Oh my god... Miss Park... Wow." She blinks at you as if you were an alien.

You clear your throat, scratching the tip of your nose. "You had something to say?"

"Oh? Me? Ah! Yes, yes!" Yuna shakes her head in embarrassment. "I came to pick you up. It's almost time!"

"Alright then. Just give me a second." You nod and turn towards a drawer in the table, opening it and taking out a holster. You strap it tightly on your left thigh.

Yuna gulps nervously, the sight in front of her draining the color from her face. "M- Miss Park... A- Are you s- sure this is n- necessary?"

You carefully load the sleek golden pistol that menacingly reflected the lights. Securing it on the holster towards your inner thigh, you get up, adjust the dress and spin around to face Yuna.

You tilt your head, a faint, yet unusually wicked smile playing on your lips. "It doesn't hurt to take a little precautionary measure, now does it? Hm?"

"Yes, I understand but... It's a party held by Equinox! Surely... You wouldn't need to resort to the use of... erm- your handgun... Right?" Yuna laughs weakly, avoiding eye contact with you. Her fear of weapons and anything related to them was nothing less than a phobia.

"Yuna." You say sharply, taking a firm step forward in her direction. "I am perfectly aware of where I will be going and what I am doing. I wouldn't tolerate you, or anyone else, questioning my actions. Understand?"

"Y- yes..." She nods quickly.

"Good."

The drive to the venue was silent. Yuna didn't dare to speak another word after that. She quietly led you to the 10-meter-long, black Rolls Royce limousine waiting for you outside.

The trees, the lights and the streets blurred as the limousine drove. Yuna sat beside you, making sure to concentrate on the view outside her window, a little too hard perhaps. It almost looked like she had held her breath.

You observe her from the corner of your eye. And maybe she felt your intense gaze, she gulped nervously, shifting slightly in her seat. You look away, sighing.

"I appreciate and understand your concern. But, you should know me really well by now. I don't like taking risks, especially not in such grandiose events." You explain, as if to yourself.

"Oh, no, no! I really apologize. I shouldn't have gotten ahead of myself." Yuna shakes her head, waving her hands in front of her. "It's just that... I'm still not used to... This stuff..." Her voice trails off at the end.

"Oh, little Yuna. There's a whole lot of things you'll have to get used to..."

The cameras are flashing mercilessly, not just one, but dozens of them. The swarm of reporters are pushing each other, trying to get to the front of the barricade. They're yelling, furiously waving their hands, hoping to get the attention of the high-profile guests that had started showing up to the venue.

To say the very least, this event hosted by Equinox was nothing short of a Met Gala.

It was like everyone else, just like you, were intent on making an impactful first impression, and maybe even land a profitable deal.

You step out of the limo, slowly and gracefully. The crowd gasps as you appear into view and step towards the long carpet spread out all the way to the grand door of the building. They start screaming your name, desperately waving their arms to get your attention.

"Miss Park!" "Miss Park, here!" "Just a minute, Miss Park!" "Please, Miss Park!"

You ignore their screams and walk past them as if they don't even exist. Looking straight up ahead, chin up, back straight, long powerful steps.

"Miss Park, is it true you and Choi Yeonjun have some sort of affair going on?"

You stop abruptly in your tracks.

This bitch...