Chapter 07 - Caught in a Pickle

"What?! ... That bastard!" Yeonjun hisses through his clenched teeth in anger that had started building up. "Should've fired him the moment I thought he was acting dodgy."

"Sir, with all due respect, now's not the time to mull over what could have been done. Since the chief financial officer is in jail, his position is automatically deemed vacant. Our priority right now is that we can't keep the seat empty for too long, because we don't know when and how long the trial will take place. Besides, no one would want a criminal in that seat again anyway. We need to act quickly before the news starts spreading."

Yeonjun takes in a deep, slow inhale, trying to sort out his thoughts and figure out a possible plan to avert this crisis as soon as possible. After much thought, he finally speaks. "I'll transfer you to the position of the chief financial officer tonight. I'm coming over to the company right now. Make sure all the documents and papers are there by the time I arrive."

A surprised and confused gasp is heard from the other side as Mina struggles to find words for the situation that was unfolding so quickly. "But, sir? Are you sure? What about your assistant? And..."

Before Mina could raise any more questions, she is interrupted by an impatient Yeonjun. "I know what I'm doing... You've been the deputy finance officer for a long time, and you've also worked as my assistant for more than a year, so you're the only person I can entrust such a position to right now."

"Yes, sir. Understood." She finally agrees. "But... What about your assistant?"

"I'll think about that later. Just make sure that not even the faintest wind of what happened tonight goes out, or else my chances of striking a deal with Equinox would be gone for good." Yeonjun explains, trying his best to stay calm but failing miserably.

"Yes. I understand." Mina replies and Yeonjun abruptly ends the call.

He starts pacing around the room, running his fingers through his hair once.

Twice.

And thrice.

It's okay. It's alright. I'll manage it. It'll be easy.

He exhales loudly to calm himself down, suppressing the multiple emotions that had been welling up inside him. Panic. Anger. Fear.

As he drove through the city, he couldn't help but wonder about the little encounter he had with you in the elevator. He couldn't point out why you looked a little out of sorts back then. Was it because of him? Or something else? You didn't look like you were in some great distress... So should he be concerned?

Damn it. My mind is all over the place.

At Falcon Estate, Yeonjun rushes through the empty halls and into the elevator that takes him to the top floor, where his office is.

At the reception outside his office, Mina is waiting for him with multiple files in her arms as looks over at him with a worried expression, greeting him with a small bow.

Yeonjun simply nods in response and walks past her into his office.

Mina enters the office after Yeonjun and they both busy themselves with the paperwork to transfer her to the position of chief financial officer.

The two of them drown themselves into paperwork after paperwork.

A handful of the required information was missing since the original chief finance officer was in jail and they both had to resort to mildly underhanded methods, with some forging here and there, to make up for his required information, files and signatures.

It was a tedious and arduous task because even the tiniest of slipup and misinformation in the files could end up exposing the entire situation.

It was half past 2 in the morning when Yeonjun closes the last file in front of him with a long exhausted sigh.

He pinches the space between his forehead, resting his elbow on the armrest of his chair as Mina stands quietly across the desk, waiting for any further orders.

"You can go now. Just make sure to come on time tomorrow." He says in a hoarse voice. Mina nods and leaves the office, closing the door behind her with a soft click.

He then straightens up and opens his laptop, starting to scroll through a list of employees in the company, hoping he could find someone capable enough to be his assistant.

"This... Is going to be a long week..." He slumps back into his leather seat.

જ⁀➴

~Back to the present~

The sun had started to set and you were going through the first drafted proposal for Equinox, along with your favorite chilled salted caramel latte by your side.

"Hm..." You hum while nodding and taking a small sip of your caffeinated drink, not taking your eyes off the draft. "This is pretty good for the first draft, not gonna lie. Good work, Yuna."

Yuna beams at you, her eyes sparkling at your compliment and gives you a small bow in courtesy. "Oh, really?! Thank you~"

You give a firm nod and settle down the papers you had been holding. "Alright, then. I'll write down the changes and other improvements for the proposal and email it to you tonight. We'll go over the second draft of the proposal tomorrow."

"Understood!" Yuna nods in agreement and turns around to leave the office. Just as she reached the door to exit, she turns around once more, a different kind of excitement circling her eyes. "Oh! I nearly forgot!" She says. "Your dress for tonight has arrived. I've placed it in the studio and arranged everything else for you to get ready. The staff will be ready by the time you arrive."

"Oh? Oh!" You raise your eyebrows in delight. "Good. Very good." You nod a few times to yourself and get up from your seat. "Then, I must hurry. We've started running short on time already!"

Yuna clasps her hand together and smiles widely. "Then allow me to lead the way!"

You step inside the studio right beside Yuna, on the floor just below the one where your office was.

You are welcomed by bright white lights that make you squint for a brief moment before adjusting to their intensity. Three of the four walls of the huge studio in front of you were lined with large mirrors accompanied by half a dozen maroon leather seats and glossy wooden dressing tables in front of them, perfectly and evenly spaced across the three walls.

The top of the mirrors was lined with yet another set of wall lights that were faced such that they projected light right onto the person seated on the seats. If this fancy room filled with all sorts of styling equipment was to be summarized in just two words, they would be: lights and mirrors.

Three French women – dressed in black and white, and tight as hell buns on their heads – approach you and offer a polite bow. They help you take off your coat and lead you to a chair, carefully adjusting the seat and untie your hair.

You close your eyes and let out a small sigh, relaxing into the soft seat as the women worked with their full concentration to doll you up for the important business event tonight.

Equinox Grand Opening and Welcoming Party. Simply put, the Equinox Gala.