23. What A Joy!

Alyssa opened the door to Helaena's chamber, and sure enough, she had gone into labor. Midwives ran into the room with a large bowl of warm water and lots of towels while a few others sat above Helaena's head with a wet towel that she dabbed over her forehead.

She lay there and groaned in discomfort until she saw Alyssa at the door. "Ah, Aly. You're here" she held out her hand and Alyssa sat down next to her and took her hand in hers.

"You are doing very good, Hel"

"Is Daeron here?" She asked, exhaling deeply.

"He's just outside"

A midwife sat between Helaena's legs and instructed the others on what needed to be done.

"Princess, you must push"

Alyssa wiped the sweat from Helaena's forehead, she felt Helaena's grip on her hand only getting stronger and stronger as she pushed.

"The head! Keep pushing, Princess!"

Tears streamed down from her eyes as she continued to push. Just a little more, just a little more.

The screams died down and were replaced by the cry of a baby. Following by praise from the midwife, another prayer was heard from the others in the background and a laugh left Helaena's mouth as she watched the moving baby in the midwife's arms. "A healthy boy!"

"There's another one!" the midwife exclaimed, Alyssa gasped and covered her mouth with her hand in shock, it seems Helaena's theory was right after all.

Her hand once again felt pain from Helaena's hard grip as she pushed, but it didn't matter because it was nothing compared to Helaena's pain.

"One last time now!"

Helaena screamed out in agony one last time before a similar baby cry was heard. "A beautiful girl, princess!"

Alyssa kissed her forehead and laughed with joy "You did it!"

"I di- I did" she replied with deep breaths between words. She stretched out her arms to receive the crying babies who ended their crying when they ended up in their mother's arms.

The door opened and Daeron was the first to run in and sit on the other side of the bed.

"A boy and a girl, Daeron" Helaena said taking his hand. He brought the hand to his lips and kissed it with love and care.

Alicent made her presence known as she laughed a short and bright laugh at the sight of her first grandchildren. "My dearest love!" she cried, moving to stand beside Daeron. "What a Joy! Two new family members, praise the mother! oh, how proud i am of both of you"

"They're perfect, aren't they?"

"They got everything from their mother," Daeron comments, kissing her forehead.

"Do the children have names yet?" Otto Hightower's voice was heard in the background.

The room fell silent for a few seconds until Helaena answered "Our son shall be named Jaehaerys, and our daughter shall be named Rhaella"

Otto smiled at her and nodded in satisfaction.

Alyssa looked around and noticed that only one person was absent. They had sat with each other before and so close. But now he wasn't here. She turned to Daeron "Wasn't Aegon out there with you, Daeron?"

He shrugged and shook his head. "He went off somewhere after you left, I'm not sure where"

She nodded slowly and turned to the queen "Your grace, if I may, Helaena has exerted herself heroically and should rest."