CHAPTER 28- BROTHERS IN CRIME

Heavy footsteps crunch the lush green grass as someone walks through the emerald green forest. On them was a big sack full of items that jingled with every step he took as he traversed the greenery. He eventually finds a dirt path, which he follows back to the Viridian Kingdom city gate before getting stopped by two knights that guarded the said gate. "Halt. State your business?" One of the knights asks, to which the person responds. "Bartender of the city tavern. Just bringing in some stuff for my business." The person was then revealed to be the bartender that Tetsuga frequents at every chance he has. Getting a much better look, the bartender was seen with his usual bartending attire but with one thing out of the ordinary for him, which was his now missing arm that was wrapped up in bandages. "Right. Sorry, the kingdom is on high alert after the attack over at the castle, so we were told to question anyone who exits and enters. You may proceed," the knight revealed before letting them through.

The bartender gave them a thankful nod and walked past them as he continued on into the city. The city was very much the same as it used to be. The only thing now was the multiple posters of Tetsuga and Derrick posted all over the place. Usually posters like those were reserved for the Adventurers Guild bounty board, but since the two had officially become enemies of the entire kingdom after assaulting and permanently injuring the royal adviser, the kingdom personally made them so that everyone saw them and was made aware of their apparent threat. But the bartender didn't bat much of an eye. It had been 2 days since the incident, and I had gotten used to the scenery. He continues to walk through, passing by multiple people who went about their days. He eventually finds himself back at his tavern as he enters it. Usually, by this time of the day, the tavern would have been full of people. Especially Tetsuga, who would've been the first one. But the place was empty. Nothing but chairs and tables, with no one to serve. The bartender sighs before walking inside and shutting the doors behind him.

Once he was in, he made his way over to a door, way at the back, as he opened it to enter. He was then greeted by a storage room filled with rum, bread, and other ingredients that are used for dishes that his place serves. But there was also one more thing there, apart from those things. A hatch. He walks over to it and opens it to reveal a ladder leading straight down to a cellar. He carefully feeds the sack full of stuff first before climbing down into it as he makes his way down to the cellar. After a moment of climbing down the ladder, he makes it to the bottom as he greets the two people inside. "Hey, you two. I got what you asked for," the bartender says as he turns around and presents the sack of stuff to none other than Tetsuga and Derrick, who had been hiding down in the tavern cellar for 2 whole days after their escapade at the castle. "Ha! Ha! Thank you so much." Derrick spoke before taking the sack off of the man before retreating back over to his little spot in the cellar, which was at a big table in the corner.

"Did you experience any trouble while you were out?" Tetsuga then came forward and chatted up with the bartender. "Not really. The kingdom is still on high alert, so you two can't come out yet," the bartender tells them as Tetsuga sighs in disappointment. "Figures... Well, thanks for letting us crash here. I'm surprised that they didn't bring this place down after you guys fought those knights for me," Tetsuga points out. Surprised and kind of relieved that the tavern hadn't been brought to ruins because of him. "No worries. You can stay as long as you like. Not like we're getting any business right now. Everyone that fought back the knights was either arrested or injured for the time being," the bartender says as he takes a seat to rest his legs a bit. "Yeah, sorry about the arm. Guess you guys fought them back hard for me," Tetsuga says, feeling guilty about the bartender's missing arm. Tetsuga was usually the one to take hits for people, not the other way around. "Don't worry about it. I'll manage. Besides, they messed with my best customer. I wasn't going to let them get away with it," the bartender says, both sharing a small chuckle over it.