36. Could It Be?

~2 months later~

How is the King, Your Grace?" Alyssa asks. Alyssa and the Queen sit alone in Maegor's holdfast with tea and raspberry cake, chatting about everything and now the king became their new topic.

"He is better now praise the gods" Alicent replied. A sense of relief washes of Alyssa and a slight laugh leaves her mouth. Her grandsire has been a little sick lately but luckily he has gotten a little better.

"Anyway, what about you? I see that you and Aegon are very close."

Her cheeks turned red just from hearing from anyone else. They had become very close, yes. much to her Joy and as he shows every day, his as well. "Well, I suppose we have our moments"

It felt weird to talk about such matters with her mother by law, it wasn't something she really wanted to talk about with anyone.

"That's good, soon enough we'll probably get a new addition to the family." She said hopefully. The only thing Alyssa could hear in her head was a voice saying, "There it was." It seemed that as long as you were a married couple without a child, everything and everyone would be on your mind day in and day out on the subject.

It was vexing, truly. It wasn't like it would go any faster because someone commented on their polish of a child, and even if they stayed child-free, it wouldn't matter much. Not on a toe, anyway, since her mother was going to be queen anyway, and she had many heirs already as it was.

But she wasn't going to say any of this to the queen "Hopefully, my queen."

Alicent nodded with a beautiful smile, she had always been a very extraordinary woman in Alyssa's eyes, and a very beautiful one too. "But I have to ask, what was it like for you when you were with child."

Alicent took a sip of her tea and scratched her eye as if she needed to think. "Well, Aegon came quickly and without eny fuss, a pretty calm boy before his older years so to speak." the queen told her, taking a pause to breath before she spoke again. "Helaena was too an easy babe to carry. However she cried all day. Nothing I did could calm her down."

A short pause took place, Alyssa waited for her to continue. "Aemond has always made it easy for me, except for his aggression problems that came in later days, he has always been a sweet boy. Daeron, on the other hand, was a hard birth, but luckily everything went well in the end."

She nodded at the story and took a breath before she asked his next question. "Do you get used to it, birth?"

"No, dearest, unfortunately it's not something you can get used to. After it's all done, you barely remember the pain and then when it comes back, you remember everything."

They sit in silence for a while but it's a nice silence, it's not as stiff anymore as it was before. Alyssa picks up a raspberry from her cake and puts it in her mouth, but when she chews, she feels a strange taste on her tounge. They tasted strange.

"Is something's wrong?" Alicent wonders when she sees Alyssa's face.

"These raspberries, they taste strange"

Alicent furrows up her brows and tried one herself. "They taste normal, what's wrong with them?"

"They taste like metal, don't you feel it"

"I can't say I do" The words came out slowly, her thinking was audible, and Alyssa shook off the thought right away. Could it be? No it could not.

"I thank you very much for this, my Queen. But I have promised to meet my ladies at court" with a smooth curtsy and she leaves the room to go down to the court.