part 1 - The Beginning

I was walking through my village, the place i called home when suddenly i heard the voice of my father Egil.
"y/n there you are! I've been looking all over for you. Come see the new species we have captured, I know you'll love them!" he excitedly shouted towards me.
"Okay father i'm coming," i sulked. I love dragons but that is the issue. In this village it's a way of kill or be killed, everyone believes dragons are horrid beasts here as a punishment from Odin but personally i believe they are a gift. While others think dragons should be slaughtered and sold i think they should be loved and cared for, they are only fighting back it is obviously us that's the problem.

As my father led me to the dragon cages i couldn't help but feel bad for these animals. Some were in cages while others were being whipped and dragged by muscular vikings and chains. All of a sudden my father stopped and started giving me another of his 'famous' speeches.
"Y/n, one day it will be you in charge of this glorious village. I know you will make me proud, i always have but you really need to get your head in the game and kill a dragon. I know you are ready and so does everyone else, it might seem scary but it's the final step in your journey to becoming chief. It is your 17th birthday next week and you know i'm not getting any younger here darling," as much as i knew he was right i just couldn't bring myself to kill a dragon, of course when i was younger i probably had watched the bigger kids in awe as they had hurt and killed the creatures but as I got older, maybe about 14, I realised they were just defending their selves and meant no harm. I couldn't respond to what my father had said previously and just hummed and kept my head down.

Soon enough I was back in the forest, as I always am. Suddenly I heard a loud crack and knowing no one ventured out here exept me it did slightly scare me. As I reached down for the small but trustworthy dagger that was in my boot I saw the most magnificent purple eye staring at me from behind a large bush. It didn't take a genius to realise what was there. Knowing I had to show the curious dragon I wasn't a threat I quickly but quietly through the dagger away to the side. Slowly the dragon crept out the bush showing its black as night scales. Straight away I knew it was a night fury, one of the most deadly dragons there was. It carefully kept edging towards me and honestly I didn't know what to do. I froze. Not thinking straight I just put my hand out in front of me  and turned my face away tightly squinting my eyes shut. My heart was pounding in my ears like thunder but it all stopped the second I felt smooth scales touching my palm. I was touching a dragon. I WAS TOUCHING A DRAGON! trying to calm myself down to complete relaxation again I opened my eyes finding myself getting lost in the hypnotising purple eyes of the night fury before me. The dragons warm breath brushed against my skin as I raised my hand up to gently stroke its head. This was the moment I knew I would never hurt a dragon again, this was the moment I realised I was right all along they only set the place in flames because we light the match that causes the destruction. I carefully removed my hand and whispered to the dragon " You can trust me I won't hurt you. Come on we need to get you far away before my father or anyone else finds you," she seemed to understand and followed me to a cave on the far side of the island.

A few hours later I had set everything up and made sure she would be okay. I then realised the dragon didn't have a name. Thinking out loud I suggested "Hmm you don't have a name yet. How about Amethyst?" She nodded in what I thought was approval and with that I said good buy and headed home.

"Y/n you're home. I was due to send a search party!" My father exclaimed with a slight chuckle.
"Sorry father," I gently replied scratching the back of my neck in slight embarrassment.
"It's okay just let me know next time you decide to go a wonder please," he sighed. We said our good nights and I headed to bed. All that I could think of was the beautiful night fury I had met that day.

———
A/N
Sorry this chapter is quite short, this is the first book I am writing and I'm just starting to get the hang of it. If anyone enjoys this story please let me know 🙂
This is my original idea as I have found not a lot of hiccup x reader story's are original and they usually follow the movies storyline.