Part 33

Many years later

"Here's few more new ones to introduce to our army." another soldier said to me and gave me their papers. "Okay, I'll take care of them." I said formally and took the papers. I looked the two of new ones that came in to the room in black clothes. Woman had long black hair braided, thin scar in her beautiful face and she looked at me confused. She seemed somehow familiar. I looked at the another beginner, scruffy and harsh man, and when he turned his head towards me, my ears started to buzzing. World started spinning, and I saw that the man was shocked. I felt that I'm going to fall and I saw that man jumping towards me before I black out.

When I did wake up, I was on floor and everyone was around me, including General Mercer. "Hey, are you okay?" he asked. I turned my head and saw Daryl in my other side holding my hand. Daryl, he was Daryl. I knew him. And Rosita, that woman with him was Rosita. "I... General, I know them. I remember them." I said and tears started to roll from my eyes. "Seems that instructor needs a day off and go to see doctor. And you two go with her." Mercer said loudly and ordered someone to replace me. Soldiers helped me up and when they saw that I could walk, one of them started to lead us to the doctor. I was so confused and my mind was full of images and distant memories.

After the doctor had checked me I was in small room with him, Daryl, Rosita and Mercer. "It seems that seeing familiar people that she had care about did bring back her memories. Probably not all, some might come back later or never. But I recommend that she could rest few days, because this is probably really overwhelming to her." doctor said to Mercer. He nodded understanding. "You didn't remember anything?" Daryl asked from me. I did shake my head. "No, nothing. I haven't even known my name, nothing. Some people had found me with head injury and they did bring me here." I said confused and my mind was a mess when I remembered things here and there. "When she did recover, she needed a job, and because she was good at fighting, she was placed in army. But because of her memory, she doesn't fit to out there. So she is instructor." Mercer told to the others. They nodded understanding. "If there has been earlier some head injury, that might have effect." doctor said. "She had. Years ago." Daryl said. "Really?" I looked at him surprised. "Yeah, you were injured when you were brought to Sanctuary." Rosita explained. Sanctuary? It sounded familiar but I couldn't place it anything. "Give it time." doctor assured. "If you haven't remembered your name, what have they called you?" Daryl asked. "D. Just that. Instructor D." I answered and started to laugh. It took a moment before Mercer and doctor started to laugh too. Daryl and Rosita looked at us confused. "When they did check me here, the only thing at me, that had any name, was my necklace that had been carved name Daryl. So they used that, because there wasn't any other ideas." I explained laughing. "Obviously Jane Doe would have been good, but here was a one already, and we needed to separate them somehow. So in papers her name is Jane Doe Daryl." Mercer tried to say formally. Rosita started laughing too. Daryl did get something from his pocket and lifted his fist on table, placing a necklace in front of me. It had my name carved on it. My laugh turned into sobbing, and I took my necklace from my neck and placed it next to Daryl's. When those pieces of trinkets fit together, I couldn't hold my tears. I had found my family. Daryl had that necklace still, after all this time. He came to hug me and I hold on him like I was drowning. I remembered more. I saw flash of the small shop where I found that necklace and another about carving them.

They left me and Daryl alone. There was so much things to discuss that we didn't know where to start. "Do you remember when we saw last time?" Daryl asked. "Ummm... I'm not sure." "We were at the barn. You stayed there for hunting and fishing." Daryl told. "Oh... the barn. I... yeah. I remember that we had sex." I said blushing a bit. I searched my memories. "I promised to come back." I said quietly. "Was that... last time we saw?" Daryl nodded. "I didn't keep my promise either, I did look for you few days. Then I find your backpack with all things and I realized that you wouldn't leave that if you had choice. I thought that you were dead. And I remembered that you told not look for you. I'm sorry..." Daryl said quietly. "It was right thing to do. Who knows where I was already. You kept your promise." I assured him. "Tell me how are you here in Commonwealth now!" I tried to cheer up the mood. Daryl sighed. "Things got bad. They promised job and salary, safety. I needed to think about the kids, so I took the offer." Daryl tried keep the story short. "Kids? Do you have kids?" I asked. "Naah. I mean... I have, but I'm not their father. Do you remember Judith?" Daryl asked. "Judith. Baby Judith. Yes, I remembered her. Rick's daughter." I said confused. "Yeah, she and her little brother RJ, he's Michonne's. I am taking care of them." Daryl smiled in melancholic way. "But... Rick and Michonne?" I remembered them and I was afraid to ask. Daryl did shake his head. "We don't know where they are." I didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry. Do I even dare to ask about the others?" I said, placing my hand on his shoulder. "Well, Carol is here..." Daryl started to tell, and realized something. "Haven't you seen Ezekiel or Eugene here? They did come here earlier." he asked then. "No, I don't think so. I've been mostly either working, training on gym or reading at home. I don't really meet much other people than soldiers." I shrugged my shoulders. "Do you have family?" Daryl asked. "No. I'm by myself. You? Except the kids." "No." Daryl said coarsely. We did sit in the silence for a while. "Hey, would you and kids like to come to eat at my place? I was about to make food anyway." I suggested. Daryl smiled lightly and nodded.