CHAPTER 01

CHAPTER ONE
YOU MUST BE HIDDEN

---*---
RAFIKI'S ACADEMY

-Ability Holder Master's Wing-
"Bea, please don't wander around," was the farewell phrase of the young lady's foster grandfather, brushing his beard with pure worry.

Whish.

According to the grandfather of the young lady, her name was Bea.

Bea always wanted to disobey the orders of her foster grandfather, but every time that crossed her mind, she suddenly felt guilty and would simply stay in her chambers, doing homework or cooking delicacies.

Cooking has always been a hobby of hers to fill her lonely mouth. Moreover, the way people praised her cooking abilities made her feel so proud of herself that she decided to build a small restaurant somewhere in the Central Kingdom someday.

Clip.

Clipping her hair up, her lips pouted as she grumbled, grabbing a bright red apron that was gifted by her grandfather. Bea then, whisked the ingredients of flour and water with an egg.

Whisk!

"Grandpa better be back soon," she mumbled, retying her messy hair after putting the bowl with her recipe.

Her arms were extended up to open the cabinet above the sink. Her beautifully brown yet messy hair puffed out again, making her blow it upwards. While her hair stuck out like an antenna, she noticed that the cabinet was filled with newly purchased tools and equipment for cooking. Upon being mesmerized by the shining pots, a small note flew out, sticking to her forehead.

"Ack!"

As she took it off her skin, she felt a familiar energy surrounding it. A dim light shone momentarily as carved letters appeared magically.

Beam.

"Gosh, Grandpa knows how to surprise me," she chuckled to herself, reading the note that was left by her grandfather.

~~~ 
Dear Bea, I will be renovating the other kitchen in the remote area of the academy after I've returned so you can enjoy it for yourself. Until then, please enjoy and use these to your heart's content.

Love, Grandpa.
~~~

Smile.

After reading the note, it slowly disappeared and blended with the air. The fluttering curtains as the rays of the sun peeked in the room, Bea's soft smile was drawn on her face brighter than the warmth of the sun.

She knew that it was her grandfather's way of filling his absence so, she's understands. She took out a worn-out bracelet that was given to her by her grandfather. The strings may looked old, but she kept it for it had a sentimental value.

She knew that she shouldn't complain all the time and should be grateful instead. After all,she was taken by a renowned and powerful person.

It was indeed an honor.

Her grandfather was known as a very strong man who, even in his old age, could still defeat an opponent with just a kick or a punch. He's also a busy person. Still, Bea cannot blame him for not showing up every time she wanted to, for he was hailed as the Great Master of the Central Kingdom.

Rafiki's Academy of the Central Kingdom

Long before time had a name, people hailed Guardians as their gods when there was no religion. However, as time advanced, their existence was too long forgotten.

After they disappeared, war broke out at each border to claim territories and enslave people. They were the monsters of monsters.

Five Kingdoms lead the siege of crimson grounds, with fallen bodies crumpling over arrows.

The Hart Kingdom, the Northern part of the continent, had such expertise in wielding weapons that they easily conquered each fief. The lords of the land, who had their necks sliced clean, could bear not to kneel for mercy. The brutal ruler snickered as heads flew over his way, bathing himself with the reeking red liquors.

The White Kingdom, the Western part of the continent, was said to be so blessed by a goddess of light that they confidently ran across the battlefield without shields. Only their raised voices led to their triumph. Their mere faith led them to a series of victories, even challenging the North.

The Claus Kingdom, the Southern part of the continent, was described as the beasts of their forefathers. With merely brute strength, they reached territories to claim as theirs. They need no weapons, for they were already born to be killing machines.

The Garcia Kingdom, the Eastern part of the continent, had their graces in words that they didn't bother to lift their hands and slay opponents. All they did was manipulate the Central Kingdom, the weakest of them all.

The Zen Kingdom, the Central Part, wished to stabilize the opposing countries, and the rulers agreed with the words of the Garcias. Unfortunately, they were naive and met their fatal deaths. A betrayal between peaceful talks—what a pitiful lie!

Click.

Stretch.

After turning the stove to heat up, Bea extended her arms, which created cracking sounds in her bones. She felt good as the stress in her muscles was relieved. That was until she heard a complaining sound.

Grrr

She placed her hands on her stomach, flushing red in embarrassment. Now that she had realized it, she hasn't eaten anything that her stomach started to protest. 

"Haha, I better hurry up and finish this!"

If Bea's the adopted granddaughter of the current Great Master, why not just ask someone to cook for her?

Apparently, no one knows her identity in the place she's staying.

Rafiki's Academy of the Central Kingdom

When the flames that devoured the kings ended, a commoner with the name Rafiki emerged and saved the ruined Central Kingdom.

He was hailed as the genius of the century, but to rulers, he was nothing. They viewed him as a bug that should be crushed by them to capture the Central Kingdom. Unfortunately for them, Rafiki already gained favors from most of the nobles, who wanted the shameless war to end.

A long and bothersome meeting was held alongside the cutting forces. It was not simple to convince the rulers, with powerful houses backing them up.

The lower nobles ought to end the war, pleading Rafiki to show his abilities. With his immense power, commoners had folktales that he was a descendant of a god or a supernatural being.

From there on, peace and unity were brought.

When events seemed to have calmed down, Rafiki established an academy for Ability Holders. They were individuals who had more amount of energy (mana) than regular people, it could be formed as magic. Aristocrats and commoners alike attended the said academy, and it was said that probably one day, one of the learners of Rafiki's Academy could be the future ruler of the Central Kingdom.

Until this day, the throne and the crown of the Zens remained untouched, for Rafiki believed that there would be a time for the noblest person to claim them. For the safety and stability of the Central Kingdom, Ability Holder Masters, or the Great Masters that possessed certain abilities, protected the country from the greedy hands of the neighboring kingdoms.

Rafiki's Academy, an academy that had been founded after the earliest civilization, which produced great warriors and clever scholars that it held a prestigious name throughout history. This had also been the home of the Great Master, and their loyal subordinate, the Supreme Ability Holder, or Supremo for short.

There were also Councilors and Masters, which are equivalent to teaching personnel in a regular school.

Only her foster grandfather, the Great Master, and the three main councilors knew her tiny existence in this academy because if word got out that she's the 'granddaughter' of the Great Master, she would experience constant kidnapping and assassination attempts. So, everything that her grandfather had done for her until now was to keep her alive and out of trouble.

Flip.

When the pancakes she cooked were finally finished, she took the intensifier and immediately swallowed the whole piece. Not even minding its hotness.

Whish.

She washed the plate that she used and left the place without a sound.

Pause.

Or on second thought, she took a moment to stop to rethink her decision. Since she's already here, she decided to borrow some food that she can eat as a snack.

"Kekekeke," she giggled with a grim smile while staring at her arms filled with fresh snacks of biscuits.

Flop!

Her head hit the soft pillows on her bed as she leisurely sighed, feeling amazed at her stealthiness. She thought that she would simply explain what had happened to Grandpa when he returned next week. What's important right now is that she will not starve to death.

Meanwhile, as Bea kicked her feet mischievously in the kitchen of the academy, one of the main councilors did his best to ease the panicking worries of the chefs. The Head Chef reported that there were missing snacks in the storage area.

"A thief!" she bit her fingernails in an anxious manner, shivering to the thought that the security of the campus has some lacking. "Tighten the security, o' please!"

The Councilor, who was listening to the resentment of the Head Chef to the said thief, pressed his lips as he brushed his black hair, preventing him from laughing out loud.

'Trix, you rascal.'

Ahem!

"W-Worry not, I'll look for the culprit," he smiled before vanishing out of sight.

---*---
Author's Note

Hello!

SagittarianJoy here, the author of this new novel. I am indeed thankful for reading this chapter as much as the thoughts you will have.

You might just notice the word 'Guardians' there. It is actually an existing being on a different story, which I also wrote. The title is "Enchanted: Guardians Series 1."

I hope you enjoy the novel as we go on!

-SagittarianJoy-
( November 17, 2023 )