7. ; RETURN OF SAVIOR

"Excuse me, what?" I said dumbfounded. I stumbled a few steps back, and my pulse roared through my body.

My heart pounded in my chest, and my ears thundered. I could've sworn he just single-handedly figured my act out—it could be, of course, but if he did, I had to lead him astray and turn him away from such consideration.

"Oh, I suppose my choice of words was too poor. I mean, why would you come through the forest? We have a different path—did no one tell you?" he asked, a frown spreading over his face. A hesitant glance towards the scratches on my legs. Was that regret?

Had I misheard his words earlier?

Did he openly admit some kind of vulnerability or secrets about the forest not being safe? (Which I've discovered anyway, already. Doesn't make too much of a difference now.)

"Oh... I must've... misunderstood. Sorry." I nod, reaching out for my sleeve to feel the material.

He loomed at me and walked forward. I stood there slightly unsure, he halted, "Are you coming?" he asked. I nodded and tried to catch up to him quickly.

We entered the mansion's big hall, a magnificent stairway leading us up to the corridor lined with rooms and portraits hanging on the walls.

He stopped in front of a room and I looked at him with wise eyes. "What?"

"What "what"?" he tilted his head, frowning at me.

I walked closer and glanced briefly into the room. Filled with a bed, a few books, shelves and a closet. From the wall hung a warm portrait, the walls occasionally had hand-drawn drawings of a child on the right side of the room.

He looked at me, "I have to apologise. A child used to reside here before you."

"Before me?" I asked, raising a brow at his statement.

"You heard what I said. This is your room." he repeated, "you don't sound like someone who is hated by—" he was cut off.

"No, no, no!" I protested, "Don't put words into my mouth. I didn't expect you to show me my room first, it's not a custom I'm used to."

His mouth formed an 'o' as he realized what I was referring to. How strict everything in the order was, he was reminded just as I was of what happened almost two days ago, with strict, scary and rude ways to intimidate anyone around. Judging from his face he hadn't had too many happy experiences either. Both of us seemed to have made unpleasant memories with those.

I sat down on the bed and dropped the bag beside the nightstand. I let out a content sigh, finally some rest. Well if it wasn't for Venti, who didn't seem to go out just yet.

"Well, you could in exchange for shelter help me with a few morning chores? If you don't mind, I could need your help greatly." he grimaced. I nodded and agreed, it was the least thing in return that I could do. Being on a mission or not, it was despite all basic courtesy. And after all that was the least. He left after my confirmation and wished me a good nights rest.

I had other plans.

I took my rucksack and went through it and found nothing more than what I had packed. A burden was taken off my beach when I saw that all that I had been allowed to take with me was intact.

Anything other was safely concealed beneath my clothes. I changed and dropped the knives and poisons into my rucksack.

——

Arriving in the corridor of the infirmary was satisfying after I missed it a few times each time by a different door.

The white room was delicately decorated, with vases and false flowers to stir and create joy under the impression of leaving this place safe and sound. (Which I wasn't used to at the order, 80% died in those barren walls without a single window that let warmth in.)