11. ; PARALLELS BETWEEN PEOPLE

The soft smile he threw my way through the next couple of weeks was too sweet, almost like I'd catch a sweet tooth in his presence.

It sounded cheeky, but I really liked the way his mouth curled into a smile. The way his eyes sparkled when he was given an apple and how he appreciated everything simply with a smile. A few years back, I'd scold myself for getting so easily used to someone's presence. I didn't talk a lot after my parents disappeared. Patterns I picked up were the ones that seemed to be recognized or rewarded—staying quiet and obedient, which was what I was best at.

I stopped talking all in one, and they began to praise me for it. More and more, I turned to a puppet trapped in a human body.

I stopped caring about my physical condition and moved on to work harder until I almost collapsed that day I met Venti.

I liked his attitude, like a moth was attracted to the flame.

I made report, after report and it never stopped. Each day it was bound to repeat.

Every single one began with a number Day X of project VC (vampire clearance). I'd finish it with the phrase "more information comes soon."

Venti and I kept working in the morning. We would get water, decorate the tables, and take care of the animals.

He and I would clean and take care of minor things as well.

"So," I said as we sat down on some chairs. Silence was between us, and no word was exchanged. He looked into my eyes and smiled, goosebumps formed on my skin, and it was piercing me. "What do you do in your free time?" I asked.

He smirked as if I had just said something entirely stupid. I probably did, but what should I say when there wasn't anything casual to ask him about? Like damn.

I narrowed my eyes at him. His smirk irritated me, and I rolled my eyes at him. His smirk faded into a smile.

"You know, I don't do a lot." he said, "other than taking care of the manour." he explained

"Boring~" I teased.

His cheeks reddened, he kept his mouth shut, and his eyes lowered. I tilted my head, looking at him. He was actually flustered. He wasn't the only one who was able

"And what about you, Ms. Supernatural Hunter?" he asked, looking at me with a raised brow, "what did you do that is so interesting?"

"Investigating criminal activities of supernaturals, arresting anyone who attacks humans and paperwork." I used my fingers to list it off. He looked at me with a smug expression.

"That doesn't sound too interesting."

I bit myself on my cheek. Of course, it wasn't from an outside perspective. I wanted to argue so badly about that statement. I realized how defensive I got over it.

"I guess yeah," I said, "but, there's always something boring to work."

"That I can agree on," he smiled, "you know I expected a bit more of a vampire hunter."

"It's not that much, and not like we're actually doing a lot." I tried to brush the fact off that there was going on a LOT more than what we led the public to believe. They didn't know half of it, and that way, it worked out. It was better like that.

I agreed with that and didn't protest or question it. Why should I? it made sense.

The public would see it as too extreme or be cautious as soon as the vampires would get knowledge of that.

He smirked again. It was testing my nerves. Yes, my nerves were bound short today. "Oh, so where are the taxes going—" he was obviously teasing, and I took the bait. How dumb could it become? I wasn't sure. Honestly, I didn't care about that, but the fact he tried to provoke me endlessly. I buried my face in my hands and groaned.

I looked up to him with a stiff expression. "Don't." I warned, "just don't." I threw him a death glare. He nodded and smiled, embarrassed.

"You're so agitated, dear goodness." he sighed, "want a tea perhaps, or wine?"

Oh no, not wine. The last time I took some, I found myself in a flustering, deeply uncomfortable situation. I didn't need that, and I knew that alcohol was my worst solution to any problem I should cope better with.

"No, please, no alcohol." I shook my head.

"Oh, not in for a little fun?" he asked, confused, "Ah, you must be someone like Diluc or the Traveler. They also don't necessarily drink anything." he chirped.

The traveler? The one who saved Monstadt, Liyue, Inzuma, Sumeru, and Fontaine combined? Thee traveler? Oh, he must be pretty knowledgeable about them then.

"Oh, so what are they like, the traveler, I mean?" I ask casually. Perhaps there'll be an interesting fact I can try to write into the report, to distract them from the fact it's been nearly a month and there hasn't been huge progress.

"Eh, what's there to tell," he stood up and paced the room up and down. The wine bottle in his hand with a smile, "You see, she's my friend, but her heroic tales tell more than she as a person does to many people~" he hummed a melody.

"The public will never see her for her truth."

My smile faded into a thin line, melancholic, which is a way to describe it. She was seen as a hero, and yet there was no real evidence of her as a person. She was not real, just a fictive role of the public. Huh, it sounded somewhat familiar. She didn't feel like she existed from his stories, rather akin to a sweet heroic song. She was a fraction of a soul, trapped inside a legendary poem.

I bit my bottom lip, and leaned back. Something about it itched my worries. A sigh escaped. "Seems familiar." I mumbled.

"Practically, there is a lot to tell, but maybe that's for another time? You could ask her yourself, but sadly, currently, she's on some travels." he continued, "So that'll have to wait." he laughed.

I felt confused. He seemed rather cheerful today. Something good must've happened. I brushed it off.
And I never looked back that day.

——✧・゚: ★,。・::・゚☆
RAINEE's NOTE; So we got another chapter here woooo<333 I finished up to Chapter 11 now we're getting closer to getting ⅓ of it done practically when we talk about first draft Mayne it'll be a bit more since otherwise it would feel a bit to rushed imo