29. ; THE BLOOD RIVER

I smeered the blood sloppily enough on my arm earlier, right? My arms were covered. It must be enough.

It has to be.

They were covered.

They were c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶e̶d̶.

I starred down at them. Had I taken the right precautions? Fuck  i̶f̶  I had done everything wrong.. I was so dead.

The immersion on the scheme I planned should've been there before I executed it.

I tried to push myself out of the crowds to tame the stirring feeling I had in my chest. It was a rising storm. This wasn't what I wanted. This wasn't what I had to do. It must've gone wrong if only one step—no, I wasn't cynical—I was realistic.

I was aspiring to survive, not heroism.

Heroism was for optimistic people who had someone behind them, something to fight for, and a chance or plain naivety.

I fell to the ground, the impact wasnt clear until it was too late. The figures tried to get away, long brown, silky hair with a red striking bow tie, and a samurai, adorned by mapples, while a red hair streak drew through his silver hair. I managed to exchange my papers with them, to the unknowns of my colleagues.

They scooted away, along a third body with a cloak, and I kept my nonchalant gambler face on. I had picked up how to do it over the years—therefore, sometimes it failed. This is why it couldn't be described as a poker face. It was that of a gambler who played with chances.

I did everything I was supposed to. So what now? I hadn't anticipated it to work.

Anything but the results I got would have been my expectation.

Kaeya stood on the stage with Varkas frozen body. His gaze loomed above him, and something about his nonchalant attitude gave me an eerie sensation down the spine. I didn't need to get a close-up on the preserved burned body and the reeking corpse. I stood meters away from the corpse, and yet I felt the cold and shivered.

The cold did bother me, anyway. I had to get past everyone without rising suspicions.

I tried to get past them without  letting them know about my surges of adrenaline.

When I reached Sucroses shop, I panted from the speed I had to use. "I-- Varka was assassinated." I gasped for air. Desperately, not to pass out in this very moment.

"And he's gone?" Sucrose whispered. I knew what she meant.

"He is." I sighed.

"And—?" I flinched as she reached for his name. Her face faltered into softer features. Then she took a glass of water and handed me one. "That includes him?" I didn't bring a word over my lips and nodded while I felt my heartbeat rising. The blood filled my ears, throbbing, and I wanted to freeze,  to not say anything at all. Just disappear.

The water I got from Sucrose tasted strange compared to any other kind I've drunk. I glanced at her and tried to force a smile. She wasn't able to be fooled.

And neither did she have to be.

As my friend, it wasn't her job to be a fool half of her time, and yet it happened.

I took the last major sips from the water until its share was empty.

Albedo, holding Klee close to his chest to protect her from the world and its dangers came in.

"Sucrose, Y/n!" he inhaled a deep, sharp breath to recover, too, from the running. The frown written over his face said enough, and it told me that he had witnessed what I had done or what happened to Varka. If he did both, I would probably not find it inside me to enable my defenses against someone who grew CLOSE like this.

Like Sucrose and Lisa did.

Like Klee.

I refocused my gaze to meet his ocean blue eyes. The ash blonde haired male steadied his grip on his sister. Before he parted his lips to express his concern, I found something far more valuable.

The surprise in his gaze, it wasn't likely an acted out scenario. I held my lips shut. Thus, his normally nonchalant demeanor gave him much space to experiment with, but he couldn't pretend as likely when he had someone this important close to guard.

I smiled softly, knowing that neither him or her would get in my way.

"Varka was assassinated." Albedo said in a hushed tone of voice so as not to wake up Klee. He looked at us.

Sucrose nodded, her warm amber eyes wide while trying to gather her words. Getting the thoughts to sound was easier than phrasing the words. "Yes, yes, I heard so too. Y/n told me a few minutes ago. What a horrible thing to happen. One would expect to be met with more safety measures on such a grand day." Albedo nodded when he heard Sucroses' opinion.

Everyone knew that Varka was a horrible person, a gruesome person with far too much influence, yet no one said it aloud.

Despite the silent agreement, they wouldn't dare to speak an ill word about him as long as they were in the center of the attention with their location.

I left behind a blood river. It was all my doing.

I don't regret a thing.

——✧・゚: ★,。・::・゚☆
RAINEE's NOTE;
Fun fact: Did y'all notice how the pathological liar seems less discrete in her doing? Reminder that she documented most of her journey for the order. Therefore, only now we see her actions and true schemes unfold.

I also don't remember the description i have given Sucroses eyes other than warm. I'll check it later.

Also, maybe a double update this week because I didn't really update last week and I have time now, so yay.

Question of the day: Your favorite moment or line in this fan fic so far? It interests me what all of you think, so far... hehe 🏃‍♀️ Especially since we're more than halfway through, probably by now, I think?