30. ; LIGHT OF TRUTH

A few days later, after the tragic public assassination of the grand master, the less trivial event was left behind to dine with my mentor Lisa. There were things at stake, not for them, but for me, a opportunist. I put myself out there, and the idea that I could have done a minuscule step differently drove me to the edge of my mental cliff. What if there was the smallest blunder?

As the portraits hung there peacefully, their eyes wouldn't put an end to glaring a burning hole in my back. A shiver crawled down my back, I teared my gaze away from the walls and shifted it towards Lisa, trying to hide my continuous cheek-biting. There was the result of my tense posture that might have collapsed if a leaf settled on my skin and the fleeting gaze.

Lisa strode towards me with an ever so gentle smile. Her warm tendril eyes and light brown silky hair were a welcoming familiarity.

She smiled at me and led me downstairs to dine between the isles of the main body in the library. As we ate, the silence reigned us. It dreaded in me like a fire. An extinguished one.

A jest or a topic to dwell a  conversation on were necessary, but I could provide neither.

All hope was lost.

The sparks of optimism I gathered while fantasizing to end the awkward mess were lost within seconds. My eyes drew back to the table with lunch. I slumped my shoulders and tried to gather my appetite.

Colorless, dull, bland. My hand reached out for the fork. It was supposed to taste, but the insipid taste wouldn't leave me alone. Just like my situation at hand. How charming.

Not even one lunch without such a preoccupation of thoughts to strike in and bother you. How could they resist? It only ate away at my appetite. The images flooded or flickered through my mind within the genre by days.

They taunted my dreams, tugged at my joy, and ripped on them until they became the bane of my existence. As even my last escape was gruesome, too.

No peace anymore.

No escape routes.

It wouldn't stop, blood-soaked clothes, the shrill noise, they rang in the back of my ear. I barely registered as screams..

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

Repetition.

And those eyes, they wouldn't stop. Their eyes darkened. Narrowed. They stabbed my peace and shattered it until my comfort ghosted my senses, too.

It was all numb—To pain, to exhaustion, to loss.

My mind couldn't tell apart nightmare and reality until every pair of eyes felt the same. They were all the same.

No pair was different. That wouldn't change. They wouldn't change.

These gazes expected a blood filled blunder. They waited for my demise, an inevitable failure.

And here I was, with each step forward I took one step towards giving in.

"You know, Y/n," Lisa stood up, "you were always a rebellious, little brat." Suddenly, her fingers seized my jaw. They were talons almost. As frightening as the wolves with these thorn tendril filled eyes. Her grasp tightened, in a ever more painful sensation. This wasn't the Lisa who accompanied me throughout my struggles. The one who checked my injuries, the one who made me join this forsaken place. My eyes widened. I yelped, frozen in place as my blood turned to ice, seemingly.

Shit, shit, shit—I couldn't just.. no, she was my teacher, my mentor, and my.. paternal figure.. once.

Not anymore.. right? If so, the tears that wallowed in my eyes were justified. They should, they had to be. I couldn't just break down over nothing. This should be nothing, but it wasn't. And wha truly scared me was my vulnerability to her power over me. I wanted to force these dwelling sobs down more than ever.

My back straightened as everything else went stiff and numb under her imposant presence. She was more vile than I could have imagined.

"In their eyes, killing my dearest, my son was a necessity. Just like you, a villain would have if it meant to achieve your self-preservation." she laughed, her voice was devoid of emotion, no trace of sympathy or hurt when she mentioned her dead son.

My parents.. killed her son.. that's..

I couldn't concentrate on articulating it.

"They were the heroes, the good who were working against villains like you." she continued, and archons that thrusted a dagger through my heart. I stiffened my posture and felt my hands spasm.

"Lisa—" she cut me off.

"No, tedious brat, don't interrupt me, you vermin." I couldn't grasp a single vocal to recoup.

"They were the heroes, and you turned into the villain they wanted to protect you from. You're a failure," she snarled. A sharp strike made me stagger and tumble backward off the chair. Like a little powerless pebble, forced to follow from the impact onto the pile.

"So blinded, I even managed to attack you and your friend in the wood with some released riftwolves." a shrill, screeching laugh, so maniacally it sent shivers down my spine.

Before I could report or process, she looked at me. Another power play of hers, I starred at her, trying to conceal every last bit of fear that coursed through my veins. The smile faltered. Instead, there was a stern expression, thin lips, narrowed eyes with an eerie aura surrounding her.

The electroluted sensation shot through my body like a warm, long-lost hug. It made me stagger forward on my knees and stare at her with the last solidity in my blurred sight. There was no reason to battle my consciousness. I didn't try to fight against it. Why should I? I could finally rest. Perhaps even in my nightmares, I'd find comfort of familiarity.

I had it.

Once every piece of confident comfort gets torn away out of your  hands, you can rest while knowing that monsters provide comfort, too, in their familiarity.

No shape shifter would leave their facade, but monsters wouldn't hide their fletched teeth.

Strong, imposant, sharp bone-cracking tools.

Knowing the lack of transparency will not be found in one place doesn't mean you won't find it in another less safe place. At least you'd know what to expect. Isn't that right?

——✧・゚: ★,。・::・゚☆
RAINEE's NOTE;
I did it, two chapters in one week!! We're officially 15 chapters or less away from the ending :)

How was it?