chapter 9: damian confesses his feelings (not to anya directly)

"Bossman?" Ewen pats Damian on the shoulder, startling him and making him drop his scissors. He froze.

"U-uh Ewen! What do you want?!" He rudely asks as he picks up the scissors and continues to cut a piece of wrapper, but crumples it and throws it into the ground in annoyance.

Emile, who was standing right behind Ewen, scans Damian's desk filled with stuff. The Spy Wars comics, the peanuts, the necklace, the messy wrappers, scissors and tape were filling up all the leftover space on his desk, and then he turned to look at Damian, who had eyebags underneath his eyes.

"Why are you two still up? It's late!" Damian yells at the both of them, forcing them to go back to their rooms, but Emile and Ewen shook their heads in disapproval. Damian sighs, and ignores the two men as he continues to cut wrapping paper.

Emile grabs a chair for himself and Ewen does the same, so now they're sitting right behind Damian and watching him in awkward silence.

"Are you two just gonna sit there and watch me or what? That shit's creepy." He turns around to see them both staring at him and he felt the chill down his spine.

"Sorry bossman! We woke up because we were um, wondering where you were." Emile speaks up, and Ewen nods.

"Oh and! You've been really close with Blackbell lately." Ewen says, and Damian freezes as he stares at the two men.

"Yeah! You've even given her a nickname!" Emile added.

"What? Don't tell me you two think we're... yuck." Damian shakes his head, feeling disgusted at the thought before continuing onto his work.

"We'll support you, no matter what, Bossman!" Ewen exclaims as he and Emile simultaneously thumbs up.

"It's not like that!" Damian turns to them and argues back. "I like someone else! I've always had!" He angrily yells before continuing onto his work.

Emile and Ewen blink at each other before looking back at Damian.

"So you're not dating--" Ewen asks before getting cut off.

"I am not, okay?"

"Then who do you like?!" Emile loudly asks with Damian panicking and telling him to shut up. Ewen grabs Emile by the wrist and points at the gifts.

Peanuts.

Spy Wars.

Chimera.

"Wait..." Emile blinked.

"You like Anya Forger!?" They both yelled as they asked, with Damian shaking his hand at them signalling them to quiet down.

Damian's ears flushed and his face turns red as he mumbles. "S-so, now you know, right..?"

"And you were with Blackbell because you liked An--"

"I said shut up!" He yells at them both before sighing and dropping from his chair onto the floor, curling himself up into a ball and laying on the floor in embarrassment.

Emile and Ewen stood up from their chairs to sit on the floor, beside where Damian was laying on.

"We don't hate Forger, you know?" Ewen reassuringly says and Emile nods as he pats Damian's shoulder. "So if you were worried on us not accepting Forger because she's... kind of weird, you're kind of wrong at that part." Ewen chuckles as he adds to what he says.

Damian adjusts his position on the floor into a sitting position like Emile and Ewen, before smiling a bit.

"Was it love at first punch?" Emile asks Damian in a teasing matter, he and Ewen laughing and making Damian's face heat up and turn into a bright shade of red.

"Nah man, it's gotta be that time she tried to apologize!" Ewen laughs all of a sudden. Well, he wasn't wrong, that was when Damian's silly little (big) crush on Anya started, after that incident when she apologized straight into his face with those cute little puppy eyes.

Damian later explained everything to Emile and Ewen, from the pickup lines and all the failed attempts, the conversations he and Becky had, to asking Anya out to prom with gifts.

Ewen and Emilw gave him a big thumbs up. "You got this Bossman, we're supporting ya!" Damian stares at them before smiling, and he stands up to continue wrapping his gifts.

"Both of you go back to sleep, don't sit on the floor for too long, it's dirty." He reminded them, and the two boys nodded before walking into their rooms to get sleep.

"Good night, Bossman, and good luck." They waved a "bye bye" at Damian before closing the doors of their rooms.

Damian smiles.

Tonight's going to be another rough night, and he wonders if it'll be worth it or not.

He silently thinks to himself.

"One more day..." he mumbles as he places tape on the sides of his wrapped gift to seal it up. He examines the gift.

"Will she say yes?"