CHAPTER 13

Saturday afternoon rolls around and I feel like I've been in this hospital a decade not 3 days, thankfully I was moved to a ward where it was much quieter and I was able to rest. The nurses have been incredible in helping me get back on my feet, the first day I could hardly get up to use the bathroom alone and they were there every time I needed them. The physio doctor that came and helped me get up and start to walk around was so encouraging, although it hurt so badly at first I'm coping with being able to get up and move short distances without needed someone to hold me. The constant visits from my parents and Elle has been really encouraging and speaking to Charles as much as possible has made it bearable but I've finally be told I can go home, Elle is coming to stay with me for a few days to make sure I've got the help I need, she was insistent that I wouldn't be alone.

My parents have collected my things and Elle has linked her arm with mine, "Are you sure you don't want a wheelchair?" My mum asks me for the fourth time in five minutes. "No mum, I need to get moving again, I've done enough sitting down." I roll my eyes and Elle is containing her laughter. I thank the nurses as I walk out of the ward and into the long corridor, maybe this walk to going to be harder than I thought. "We'll go get the car and bring it to the door, take your time." "Thanks Dad." I smile at him as he and my mum pick up the pace and trail away from us. As soon as they're out of earshot I know I need Elle's advice, "I accidentally told my Dad about Charles. I asked him to call him when I woke up." "Good, they should know. I'm sure they're going to be thrilled. What did you tell him?" "Not enough, I just told him I was seeing someone, how do I tell them who he is?" There's no way I can just pop into conversation I'm now dating a formula one driver I met in Monaco without them giving me a lecture about being safe or one of them fainting!" "Just tell them, I mean they're going to find out sooner or later, sooner would be better." Elle is always bloody right. "You know you love me?" I flutter my eyelashes at her. "No. No way. I'm not telling them. I love you, but no." Damn.

Just as we get out of the doors my parents car pulls up outside, my dad jumps out and runs around to hold open the back door for me and helps me in. We set off in the direction of home and before I can even think about how to tell them about Charles my dad breaks the silence, "So this Charles you asked for?" I can see him glancing at me in the rear view mirror, it's like he could read my thoughts. "Um, yes?" "How did you two meet?" Oh god here we go. "We met when we all went on holiday, remember the girls took me to Monaco for the week? Well we met in a coffee shop, he gave me his number and he took me out to dinner. It was very romantic." I'm definitely leaving out the part from the night before. "Aw that sounds so lovely sweetie!" My mum is the romantic out of the two of them but I know this is my dad trying to squeeze every last bit of information out of me in the 30 minutes car journey to my house. "So what does he do?" My dad isn't letting up. "He drives for a living." I shoot Elle a look of desperation that I need help. "Is he like a chauffeur? He must do well if he's from Monaco. I heard you have to have a lot of money to live there?" My poor mum, so oblivious. "Nova, he does more than just drive for a living, just tell them." Elle blurts out, my mum turns around in the car giving me a really concerned look. "Okay he does drive for a living and no, he isn't a chauffeur mum. He's a formula one driver, I met him when he was on his summer break and we spent a lot of time getting to know each other when I was there. He's really nice mum I promise, he's kind and caring and I really like him." I can't get the words out quick enough and I just want the seat of the car to swallow me up. "You're joking?" My dad breaks so hard we all jolt in our seats. "No I'm not joking Dad, he really is." "Wow, okay. So when do we get to meet him?" My dad is in full on protective mode now, thanks Elle. "Well I'm going back to Italy to see him race next weekend if the doctors allow it, but I don't know when he'll have time to meet you." "Back?! When did you go to Italy?" At this point my dad's almost pulled the car over. "Last week, he has a house there so I went to stay with him for a week." I say sheepishly. "That's where he asked her to be his girlfriend!" Elle can't help but make this worse every time she opens her mouth, I gently smack her on the leg which sends her into a fit of laughter. "I'm glad you find this funny!" I give her the dirtiest look. "So he's your boyfriend? Well I have to meet him to make sure he's good enough for you. I can't believe you didn't tell us." My dad sounds so disappointed. "Stop it Andrew! It's okay honey that you didn't tell us, but I want to meet him too, just promise it will be soon." My mum scolds my dad, well I guess this could have gone a lot worse. "I'll make sure to tell him."