Mermaids! Are the Sightings Real?

We haven't forgotten the account of the Little Mermaid, which thrills us every time we read it on the pages of fairy tales or on the television screens. Mermaid legends date back to the dawn of written history, but how much do we really know about these magical sea creatures?

A mermaid is a legendary sea-dwelling creature with the head and body of a woman and the tail of a fish below the waist. Mermaid legends date back thousands of years and are found in cultures all across the world, from coastal communities in Ireland to the landlocked Karoo desert in South Africa. Mermaid is a combination of the words "mere" (Old English for sea) and "maid" (a girl or young woman).

Mami Wata is the African water spirit of Nigeria, a country in Africa (Igbo). The decade of the 1950s is filled with tales of the spirit. There is a sculpture of Mami Wata which is on display at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. A variety of stories about supernatural water spirits known as Mami Wata exist in West, South, and Central Africa (meaning "Water as Mother" or "Mother of the Water").

There is no single feature that defines these spirits or divinities, as they come from a variety of African cultures with ancient roots. Mami Wata's gender is flexible, which means she can appear as either a male or a woman at any time. The spirit is revered for its kindness in providing beauty, healing, and wisdom, as well as for its ability to protect people from natural disasters.

Mami Wata's stories and beliefs expanded around the globe after colonialism and the rise of the slave trade in the 1600s, and they remain a vital source of spiritual connection for African groups attempting to reclaim their traditions and cultural identities.

Have mermaids always been nothing more than tales and legends? Not in the least! Many people have claimed to have seen mermaids over the years. Mermaids were spotted in the Caribbean, according to Christopher Columbus. Is it possible that these sightings are all made up? Is there a different explanation? Some scientists believe they may have discovered the answer.

Many people in mediaeval times claimed to have seen this mermaid. Around the turn of the century, a man named Mr. Monero witnessed a curious monster in a remote part of Scotland's sea. He described the creature as having the upper body of a woman and the lower body of a fish.

Miss Makai of France insisted on seeing a mermaid later on. Two fishermen from Cornwall and Scotland spotted a mermaid around 1625 AD. In the year 1775, a mermaid was apprehended in Greece. Reporters from all over the world gathered to see what was going on. It was green-haired and had an off-white body. The tail appeared to be formed of crystal metals. The scales repelled white light, and anyone who looked at them for more than 15-20 minutes could be mesmerised.

In Israel, in 2009, one of the most renowned Mermaid sightings occurred in Kiryat Yam. The locals claimed to have seen the aquatic animals, and they were numerous enough to come close to the blue-collar Israeli village on the shore. The mermaids caused such a stir that the mayor of the town offered a $1 million prize to anyone who could prove they existed!

Mermaids can be found in numerous myths, including Greek and Italian ones. Mermaids were alleged to exist on Earth as early as 1493, by none other than the greatest explorer of all time, Christopher Columbus! Three "female figures" "raised high out of the sea," he is alleged to have observed. But, contrary to popular belief, they are not as beautiful as they appear to be.

Another debate concerning the existence of mermaids arose after tales of a mermaid's dead body being discovered on Marina Beach after the Tsunami struck the coastal state. This deceased Mermaid's carcass is supposed to be kept in the Egmore Museum under strict security. In Tamil, mermaids are known as Kadal Kanni, a fictional creature having the upper half of a human body and the lower half of a fish body.

On the internet, there were multiple photos of a dead mermaid discovered in Masvingo's Lake Mutirikwi (Kyle) Dam. Workers refused to continue work on two reservoirs in Gokwe and Mutare in Zimbabwe, claiming that mermaids had chased them away from the locations. Njuzu, as mermaids are known in this region of the world, is said to drown humans despite their best efforts.

During the time of World War II, several Japanese soldiers claimed to have spotted numerous mermaids on the shores of the Kei Islands in Indonesia. They were described to be with human faces and limbs with spikes on their head and longfin as they were swimming underwater. The mermaids are known as Orang Ikan by the inhabitants on the Kei Islands, and multiple sightings have been reported in the vicinity.

It is, indeed, a weird creature. They dwell on the surface of the water below. Many scientists claim that they eat a unique sort of food known as Gillyweed. Mermaid sightings are like urban legends: you don't believe it until you've seen it for yourself.

So, what are your thoughts? Is it true that they exist? Is it a trick of the light?