Hellhounds of Underworld! Are They Real?

A hellhound is a mythological hound who represents the devil, hell, or the underworld as a protector or servant. Cerberus from Greek mythology, Garmr from Norse mythology, the black dogs of English folklore, and the fairy hounds of Celtic mythology are some of the most well-known examples of hellhounds. Physical features vary, but they are usually black, abnormally enlarged, supernaturally powerful, and have red eyes or are accompanied by flames.

In legend, a Hellhound is a supernatural dog that comes from the Underworld. In mythology all around the world, a broad range of frightening or horrible supernatural dogs can be found. The Hellhound has been sighted multiple times throughout history, and while it is not exclusive to any one location, it is often connected with graveyards and the underworld. The most recent sightings were in or around graves in Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisiana, Ohio, and Vilseck, Germany.

Seeing or hearing a hellhound scream could be a sign of impending doom or perhaps death. The Bearers of Death are Hellhounds who were allegedly created by ancient demons to act as death's heralds. Seeing one, according to legend, will result in death. It is believed to take one sighting for the curse to take effect and kill the victim; other times it is reported to take three sightings for the curse to take effect and kill the victim. These characteristics make the Hellhound a dreaded forerunner of horrible things to come.

They are frequently assigned to guard the entrances to the hereafter, such as graveyards and burial grounds, or to perform other jobs linked to the supernatural or the afterlife. Hellhounds are generally considered as helper dogs for persons who are about to pass away, not just as guard dogs for graves. They can, however, appear to such loved ones and inform them of a loved one's death.

Hellhounds are reported to be as black as coal and have a brimstone-like odour. Wherever they move, they tend to leave a scorched area behind. Their eyes are a vivid, deep red that practically glows.

Hellhounds have been described as having brilliant red – or occasionally yellow – eyes, razor-sharp teeth, extreme strength or speed, ghostly or phantom traits, horrible odour, and even the capacity to speak. Hellhounds may have fire-related skills and appearance in cultures that equate the afterlife with fire.

While most depictions of the Hellhound portray it as a nasty and wicked creature, this is simply not the case. Hellhounds don't have to be ominous or frightening. They may take on the appearance of any huge dog, but with pure black fur.

For decades, terrifying tales of "hell hounds," vicious black dogs with glowing eyes and bared teeth wreaking havoc on the populace, have been the stuff of mythology. A snarling beast came into a church in 1577, rampaged through the congregation, and bit the necks of two persons, who quickly died, according to one particularly poetic tale.

After terrifying churchgoers in Bungay, Suffolk, the legendary hound, known as Black Shuck, appeared on the county's shore at Blythburgh.

It struck again, smashing through the doors of Holy Trinity Church and killing a father and a boy before causing the spire to fall. According to folklore, the beast left scorch scars on the church door. Photographer and researcher Nick Stone is compiling a database of similar experiences, with between 400 and 500 accounts so far.

Stories about lonely dogs grieving for dead masters and packs of hounds being led in "wild hunts" by men on horseback have been added to the map. Hellhounds were also said to emerge at witch trials in the seventeenth century. However, not all legends of Black Shuck portray the beast as a vicious hunter.

A ghostly canine is claimed to have turned protector at Littleport, Cambridgeshire, after protecting a local girl from a friar's attempted rape. The dog died in the conflict, according to mythology, and its ghost was left to wander the countryside.

Along the east coast of England, there are similar stories about a black dog with different names. Norwich-based "Living in Norfolk, it's probably the most prevailing piece of kids' horror folklore," said Mr Stone, who began the interactive mapping project in August as part of Public Archaeology 2015.

While the legends mostly propagated through word of mouth, the first documented mention of the "hell hound" may be found in the Peterborough edition of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle from the 11th and 12th centuries.

"Reliable witnesses" had seen groups of hounds, "jet black with eyes like saucers and dreadful," being led in a "wild hunt" by men on horseback through the forests between Peterborough and Stamford, according to the chronicler. Lorna Richardson, a public archaeology researcher at the University of Ume in Sweden, said folklore is sometimes disregarded when determining the significance of a landscape or location.

An angel blade has the ability to hurt and kill hellhounds. Goofer dust, devil's shoestring, and salt can all be used to keep them at bay. The Colt, like demons, is efficient against hellhounds. Hellhounds can be killed with the Demon Killing Knife, just like demons.