Mayong: The Land of Black Magic in India

There is a city in north eastern India with a fantastic history that goes back further than the Brahmaputra River that passes through it. The pristine, secluded town of Mayong, dubbed "The Land of Black Magic," has one of the world's oldest magical background stories.

Mayong is a small town on the bank of the Brahmaputra River in the Morigaon district of Assam, India, where solitude and mystery thrive. While some villages pass down farming or craftsmanship skills to the next generation, the elders of Mayong teach the town's children sorcery, dark arts, and magic.

Let's learn a few things about Dark Arts before we talk about Mayong and its witchcraft. The purpose of Dark Arts is to cause harm to mankind. It began 300 years ago, before Lord Jesus was born, during Aristotle's time. Earth is made up of four materials: earth, water, air, and fire. He was the first to discover this. Alchemy was born based of this normally placed concept. People tried to convert or alter original material to gold using alchemy. This led to the invention of Touch Stone.

This stone was thought to have the ability to change the original metal into gold. Superstition led to the assumption that a secret chemical existed that, if consumed, rendered a person immortal.

Many people believe that a man named Nicholas Flamel of Scotland lived for over two centuries. The magical stone is said to have been invented by him. Many people afterwards become active in dark arts education after being inspired by his work.

Europe was going through a gloomy period at the time. Scientific experiments of any kind were outlawed. Man was a superstitious creature. Alchemists were supposed to be witches with bad spirits.

However, this was not the case. These individuals attempted to assist ordinary people with science but were burned at the stake.

Merlin was the most famous person on the planet. He was a King Arthur's magician. During his time, alchemists were feared.

These alchemists worked with unexplained objects such as skulls, bones, flesh, fire, and animals. They even used nonverbal spells and charms in their job.

Let's return to Mayong.

Many think the term "Mayong" comes from the Sanskrit word "maya," which meaning "illusion." This appears to be the case in Mayong, where legend has it that by repeating the "Luki Mantra," people have been transformed into animals, terrifying beasts have been tamed, and men have vanished into thin air.

Since its foundation several centuries ago, Mayong has been India's centre for witchcraft and wizardry. Legend has it that if you sang "Uran Mantra" in the early days of Mayong, you would be able to fly through the air and land directly beside your true love.

Years ago, witches and black magic practitioners took refuge in the Mayong woods, according to legend. It was 1337 at the time. When Europe was engulfed in darkness, the same thing happened in India.

Witches were burned alive and their homes looted. Sultan Mohammad Shah took special measures to completely eradicate these people. He learned that a small group of people who practised black arts were hiding in Mayong's jungles.

He dispatched 100,000 riders to assassinate them and return their remains as prizes. But ill luck was on his side. The fate of all 100,000 horsemen is unknown.

There was no sign of a conflict or bloodshed. Excavators have also discovered swords in Mayong that resemble those used by the soldiers.

Mayong is still dark and eerie, but it's a little more open these days, with the occasional traveller passing through. Mayong residents offer palm reading to visitors, claiming to be able to predict the future using broken glass and seashells.

Mayong is also home to plenty of witch doctors. Local healers cure pain by laying a copper dish on the injury and waiting for it to "eat away" the agony.

The dish will overheat and shatter to the ground if the pain is too great. The town's witch doctors also act as a lost and found. The warlock will plant a flower in a metal bowl if someone misplaces something.

The bowl will then move along the ground on its own, according to the locals, until it reaches the site of the lost or stolen items.

Mayong has been the epicentre of Indian sorcery and witchcraft since the dawn of time. As a result, a variety of activities were carried out here, the most renowned of which was Narbali, or human sacrifice.

Humans were sacrificed as part of the worship of Goddess Shakti rituals in order to gain various abilities of black magic.

There are a multitude of spells in Mayong, but none of them have the power to affect the weather, according to legend. "There are spells to transform a leaf into a fish, or an evil man into an animal," says Naba Deka, a local, "but magic cannot fight against nature's fury, thus there is no spell against the annual floods."

Every year, a small group of Indians travel to Mayong, either to engage in dark magic and study the mysteries of witchcraft, or to explore the nearby Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, which is home to the world's densest population of Indian rhinoceros. In fact, Mayong's animals and magic frequently go hand in hand.

The Mayong-Pobitora Festival, which celebrates the merging of animals and sorcery, exemplifies this. Guwahati is 40 kilometres away from Mayong. So, once you arrive at Guwahati International Airport, you can either drive or take the train to Jagiroad Railway Station (closest to Mayong).

So visit Mayong if you want to learn Magic and Witchcraft. It's the real Hogwarts of India!!