Chapter 4 - A Most Foolish Plan

The side door of the Marauder snapped shut, and Jade sucked in a breath as the ship began to lift. She reached for the wall to steady herself, hoping no one would notice. Hunter did.

"What's the matter?"

Jade forced a smile.

"Ah, nothing. I haven't been on a ship in years. I was a kid, and we didn't go very far. I'll get used to it, don't worry," Jade said, and the ship moved forward with a slight jolt.

Jade fell, and she groaned, standing back up immediately only to receive a slap in the shoulder from Wrecker, which almost made her fall again.

"Watch it! Better not damage the equipment, or Tech will have you thrown off the Marauder."

"Just tell him to fly smoothly, and everything will be fine," Jade answered with a nervous laugh, and Hunter chucked slightly, turning to return to the screen displaying the various functions and conditions of the ship.

Jade decided she would be much better off near the front of the ship, where she could see where they were going. She settled in a seat behind Tech, who was piloting, and Echo, who was seated next to him.

"Hey! What's your name?" Wrecker called, and Jade turned in her seat to acknowledge him.

"Jade."

While no one responded, Jade knew that had all heard her and swung back around, looking out the large window. They flew across the landscape, some of the rocks jutting up so high Tech had to weave between them. Jade knew they were getting close to the Arena, able to pinpoint certain spots. Of course, she had only traveled on foot or with her speeder, now lost. Being in the air was slightly overwhelming, but Tech was relaxed and was even able to notice the details in the landscape.

"It's not exactly canyon; there are some green spots. I'm intrigued; everything is desolate but easy enough to travel through."

Echo couldn't offer him an explanation, but Jade could. She scooted closer.

"Vresha used to be greener and bustling, but time and nature eroded everything. There are other towns, but the main one is favored for a reason. Those on the outskirts have to risk surviving on their own, but it's more than that. Snatchers have destroyed other towns and their livelihood just by taking too many people."

"We should be getting close. I'm getting a huge reading," Hunter informed them, leaning back in the chair.

"I don't see –"

Tech didn't finish his sentence. Passing over a mountain, the corner of the Arena became much larger, and the stadium-like building stretched across the plain, connected to several other buildings. There was an area for visitors, but it was currently empty. Jade knew the next "event" would be tomorrow, and the Snatchers would withdraw from the city early in the morning. Jade swallowed hard, and Wrecker and Hunter came closer to the front of the ship to get a good look. While the Marauder would be difficult to spot at night, Jade felt highly exposed. Tech slowed, but they were still drawing nearer. Hunter pointed ahead.

"We need to get closer."

Jade started to stand up, but she was thrown back into her seat when Tech sped up. Hunter and Wrecker were already holding onto something, and Jade grunted angrily, straightening.

"No, stop!"

"I'll do a full sweep around the perimeter," Tech said, and Jade's eyes widened.

Knocking Echo in the shoulder slightly, Jade surged forward to grip the steering and force it to the right, but she didn't realize how sensitive it was. She didn't know how to fly, after all. Tech gasped and yanked it back as they began to drop quickly, and Jade crashed into the console when he began to level out. Hunter pulled Jade back before she could try anything else, and Echo tended to the wild beeping and flashing of numerous buttons and functions. Tech didn't move any further, and Jade both sighed in relief and groaned in pain and fear. Wrecker picked himself up off the ground, staring at the dent he had just made in the wall.