Chapter 10 - Asking For Help

Thinking, even in her sleep, that she was still next to Omega, Jade woke carefully. She wasn't in the same room. It was dark and bare, and furnished with a single bench, which she was lying on. There was also a sink in the corner, but everything about the room screamed confinement. Why was she here? Where were Hunter and the rest of District 9? More importantly, how long had she been out?

Forgetting her leg, Jade hopped off of the bench and buckled, but only slightly. Her mind was playing tricks on her, and the brace was getting in the way. She hadn't put her foot down gently, either. She straightened, feeling it out, and realized her leg was almost completely healed. It had been a restless night, so perhaps injuring herself didn't have a bright side to it, after all.

"I'll come up with a new bright side," Jade thought.

She moved closer to the ray-shielded entrance, peering as far as she could. The hallway seemed deserted.

"Hello?" Jade called.

Then again, but louder. She kicked the floor – with her good foot – in frustration. Then she heard a familiar, gruff voice respond.

"Jade?" Hunter said, and Jade finally spotted him on the other side; near but not directly in front of her.

"Yeah, it's me. How long have I been here?"

"A day, I think. They should be giving us food soon. The guard took me back to the factory to work, I got a few hours of sleep before being led here, and you showed up shortly after. It's hard to keep track of the time, sometimes."

"It's been too long," Jade said, closing her eyes and shaking her head. "But why did they move us?"

"Maybe it's to keep us from sneaking off again," Hunter responded, folding his arms.

"I told you it was a bad idea," Jade sighed and smirked.

"I didn't tell you to get your leg broken," Hunter pointed out, looking serious.

Jade laughed, throwing up her hands in surrender. She paced, eager for movement.

"I saw Omega."

Hunter lifted his head attentively.

"How is she?"

"She's fine. I was able to talk to her a bit and sooth her worries, at least for the time being."

Hunter nodded in appreciation, but he waited for Jade to finish, knowing something else was on her mind, especially since she had stopped pacing.

"Sam is alive; she said he was in her district."

"Good. We can get him out, too," Hunter responded, but Jade chuckled weakly, leaning against the wall.

Her eyes darted in random directions as she thought of a reply.

"You would think I would be happier. I just can't believe it; I won't believe it until I see him. Even then, I feel more pressure than ever. I will do whatever it takes to get him back, but what then? Keeper will keep organizing his games, and Vresha's local population will continue to live in fear. He needs to be stopped."

She stared at Hunter.

"Do you think the others will attempt a rescue mission before we're ready?"

"They won't infiltrate the area unless they have a plan, and things look pretty bleak right now."

"Whatever happened to keeping our hopes up?" Jade asked, but Hunter didn't have a chance to respond.

The door opened, and a guard approached Jade's cell, coming to a stop in front of it. He had a tray of food but had taken a piece of the bread and was nibbling on it even in front of her. He was likely hoping for a reaction, but Jade only narrowed her eyes and remained leaning with her back against the wall.