Chapter 19 - Escape

"I thought you could pull it off, colonel. You mean to tell me that the drug has been destroyed – every last drop of it – and the captives could potentially be released?" Amos spat the words, trembling from anger.

"That is correct, sir. However, there is room for error. The captives could still be trapped, and then where would clone force 99 go?" Hyde pointed out, a smile creeping through.

It vanished when Amos scoffed, shaking his head.

"And just how many men have we lost so far?" Amos growled, already dreading the answer.

Hyde dipped his head, pursing his lips.

"I asked you a question, Hyde!" Amos cried, and Axel stepped forward.

"About two thirds, sir."

Amos straightened, struck by the revelation. He licked his lips to keep from lashing out again, pressing his fingers together. It was unusual for the man to be so unnerved.

"Most were killed either by Keeper's guards – though they seem to be thinning out – or clone force 99," Hyde added in a low voice. "Some locals have teamed against us, too."

"Very well. Pay attention, Hyde, because these are the actions I will carry out. Make no mistake."

Hyde lifted his face an inch.

"I am going to fire at the outskirts of the Arena. There will be one way out, and I will send you coordinates. I will give you 30 minutes."

"Before what, captain?" was Hyde's tentative answer.

"Before I take out the entire Arena. There is nothing more we could possibly benefit from."

"Amos!" Hyde interrupted, and a heavy silence fell. "Give me more time. I can gather what knowledge I can from this place... you would just throw it all away?"

"We need to establish order. I don't think the audience would be spreading good rumors about us if we attempt to salvage this operation. Don't you want to be hailed as a hero, Hyde?"

Hyde stiffened, stepping forward.

"I want to gather what I can for the Empire; not for a promotion or a chance to save my neck. I prefer progress over safety."

"30 minutes. If you make it to the coordinates in time, maybe then you can acknowledge the mistakes you've made," Amos declared, leaning forward to emphasize his point.

Hyde heard Amos shout an order as he lifted his face, which became muffled as the hologram flickered, then died. Axel slipped off his helmet, watching Hyde as he fumed and mumbled under his breath. The clone had multiple scars on his face, making his "identical" appearance from the rest of the clones less believing.

"I'll have my men survey what they can, but I think we should make our way to the coordinates as we do so," Axel suggested, and Hyde nodded for too long, distracted.

"We weren't given much of an option, were we?" Hyde grumbled.

As if to answer his question, the walls groaned and shook. Hyde listened for the blaster fire, and he just barely heard it. It cackled and roared like thunder. The Arena shook again, and Hyde's hand slipped from the desk. He caught himself and turned to glare at the door.

"Contact your men," Hyde ordered, and Axel nodded, holding a finger to his helmet.

Meanwhile...

"What was that?" Jade asked, brows furrowed.

She stumbled but didn't fall. The captives that had been streaming out of the district paused, their worn limbs collapsing the minute they sensed a tremor. Some cried out in fear, especially as the lights flickered, but the older ones shushed them.