Chapter 18 - Reunion

Breathing was becoming difficult, or maybe it was just the chemicals. Jade didn't want to fall behind, but she couldn't help her body shutting down as they sprinted down the hall. She paused, hands on her knees, and Hunter and Echo heard Jade's footsteps go silent. They slowed, then walked towards her.

"Sorry," Jade breathed, glancing up quickly. "I just need a second."

She was far from nonathletic. She was not used to such extensive exertion; the few months of freedom were depressing but otherwise peaceful. Besides that, Sam kept popping up in her mind. She replayed his death over and over again, and she couldn't stop it. It fueled her and kept her going, but now the weight of it was crushing her spirit. When footsteps sounded around the corner, Hunter and Echo blocked Jade from view, just in case she needed more time.

"What is it now?" Jade groaned, straightening.

Instead of TK troopers, however, a small group of unmasked faces turned the corner and slid to a stop. Their outfits were dull colored and smeared with a bit of orange dust; a clear indication that they had not come from the Arena itself. They cocked their heads in confusion, seeming innocent enough even though they were all armed. Hunter and Echo lowered their blasters, and Jade squeezed between them. At the sight of Jade, one of the men pointed and called over his shoulder, and a blond head bobbed behind him. Kendra pushed past the man pointing and smiled, crossing her arms.

"Kendra!" Jade cried in relief. "You made it."

"You bet we did. You'd be surprised how many locals were willing to stick it to Keeper."

"Well, they don't have to worry about Keeper anymore. He's dead," Hunter remarked, and Kendra's group gasped and chattered eagerly, casting relieved looks.

"The Empire is a different kind of enemy, though," Echo put, and Kendra's group quieted to listen. "They're the real targets, but you need to be careful. Our highest priority is dealing with Hyde's support and getting the drug back so we can properly dispose of it. When we release the captives, be ready to lead them out of here."

"You're releasing all the captives?" one woman asked, surprised such a feat could be accomplished.

"No guarantees; it may be a single district. Regardless, they need your help to make it out of here," Echo continued, and Kendra's group nodded in understanding.

"I have some folks leading the audience out of here, just as Tech asked," Kendra said.

"Now we just need to catch up with the TK troopers," Jade turned and remarked, giving Kendra's group a nod of support before taking off again.

She had no problem keeping up with Hunter and Echo, now. They were leading, but Jade provided her input. Jade knew they were close when the sound of blaster fire became more prominent, and a triumphant yell echoed down the hall. Jade grinned broadly; there was only one person in the galaxy that could have such a booming, excited yell when blaster fire came soaring their way. She picked up the pace, and they proved to be a great surprise to the TK troopers. They hadn't expected their opponents to gain backup. Jade didn't look behind her until the TK troopers were all dealt with – none had retreated – and the sight of Wrecker, Tech, and Omega made her beam again.

"Hunter, Echo!" Omega cried, and Jade chuckled at the girl's enthusiasm.

"Jade!" Omega continued, and Jade was so taken aback the exclamation almost didn't register.

She wasn't displeased, but she hadn't expected to be included. It warmed her heart, despite the troubling situation they were in. She didn't know Omega all that well, but it was impossible to dislike the girl. Hunter, Echo, and Jade headed down the hall to join them, and Jade grabbed Omega's shoulder to pull her into a quick side-squeeze.