Chapter 6 - Running Out of Patience

As soon as their eyes adjusted to the light, Hunter and the others could see how serious their situation was. The stands were packed, dropping downward like the inside of a bowl. Sturdy brick walls rose from the arena floor to the lowest seats. The arena itself seemed simple. The floors were a stark white, and there were several platforms scattered randomly. A huge tower dominated the very center of the arena. It shot upward like a raised gazebo with a simple roof. The very top of the roof almost touched the glass roof above the arena, completely covering the space. A very large man was settled in one of the chairs. Guards surrounded him, eyeing the crowd carefully. Jade was staring at the large man with an intense dislike. Hunter nudged her, trying to break her out of her trance.

"Alright," Jade said, taking charge.

She turned and pointed to the seats higher up.

"That's the back. Echo, Tech, and Wrecker? I'm sorry, but you'll have to head up there."

"Perhaps it is a good thing that we separate. We'll be less likely to suspect, and we'll have more area covered," Tech reasoned.

"Remember, we are not doing anything foolish today. They have guards posted at every section for a reason. They'd love for an opportunity to deal with trouble," Jade warned, fully prepared to brief them on the harsh reality of the Arena. "You have to watch. I don't care if you have to tie your legs to the chair to keep from standing up and rushing forward. This is going to be a hard thing to witness, especially if Omega has her first round today, but you have to do it."

"What do you mean?" Echo asked in concern and apprehension.

They looked to Hunter, expecting him to take their side, but Hunter sighed in acceptance.

"We have to listen to Jade. Keep your comm channel open," he ordered, and they relaxed slightly.

They parted ways, and Hunter and Jade took the steps that led down, closer to the Arena. A guard moved forward to help them, Jade showed him the copy of their pass, and he led them to two empty chairs, right up front. There were many empty seats in their row, proving Jade's point. Front seats were difficult to obtain. When Jade sat down, her discomfort was blatantly obvious. She tapped her foot, pursing her lips and covering part of her face with her hand, as if attempting to shield herself from the sight. Hunter noticed this and, despite his frustration and concern for Omega, he realized the reality of how difficult it had to be for her to return. He removed his helmet, his voice no longer slightly muffled.

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it," Jade responded. "And don't thank me just yet. You probably won't like what you see."

"Is it really that bad?" Hunter asked, looking around as if he expected a group of droids to start charging at them.

"No," Jade said, pointing to the large man sitting in the chair high above them. "He is. And if he sees me, we're toast."

"He can't see us from up there," Hunter reassured, folding his arms.

Jade pointed to the small discs flying slowly around the tower.

"He has drones. Stir up trouble, and it will be worse for all of us, especially since I'm here."

"I see your point," Hunter grunted.

Suddenly, a loud booming voice from the speakers broke the noisy chatter.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Arena! Today we will be sending out seven new contestants. What must they do, folks?"

There was a pause, and a loud chant shouted back.

"Survive!"

Hunter frowned, and Jade squeezed her eyes shut.