47. Second Nameday

Evening has come and before the feast, Alyssa and Aegon are in their bedroom with attendants getting them ready.

Aegon sits on his chair with his dagger in his hand and plays around with it, twirling the sharp blade. Tanya is holding a crying Rhaegar who didn't want to stop even though they did for him.

Alyssa turned to the boy and slid over to take him in her arms, rocking him gently as she shushed him. But he just kept crying despite her efforts.

"What's the matter with him? I fed him just a few minutes ago."

"I don't know, Princess. Could it be that h-"

"Here, give him to me," Aegon interrupted as he laid the dagger down on the table. Alyssa's worried expression didn't change as she handed the boy over to Aegon.

The crying suddenly began to subside as Aegon took him and sat down on the chair with his son's head leaning against his chest.

Alyssa stood there with a rather amazed look on her face, she turned to look at Tanya and then back at Aegon who was grinning victoriously at his wife.

"I guess he's had time to tire himself out" she jested and went back to fixing herself for the celebration. "Or maybe he just missed his father."

She turned to the mirror and adjusted the skirt of her dress, a dress that the queen had given her. But she didn't like the way it sat on her figure.

She pulled her skirt on a little and tried to straighten the sleeves as much as she could

"Stop that"

Alyssa turned around in confusion, "Stop what?"

"My love, it doesn't matter how many times you tug and pull on it, it looks exactly the same on you."

"And how exactly does it look on me?"

"You could have worn a blanket and you'd still be the most beautiful in my eyes."

Alyssa turned around again, completely forgetting that there is a mirror in front of her that reveals how she bushes at her husband's words.

"And my work here is done" He exclaimed as if he had won some prize.

Alyssa once more turned to the mirror and felt a little shocked at what the queen had given her. It was a dark blue dress with openings that spread over the sleeves and to the collarbones, a rather revealing piece of clothing for their pious queen.

Aegon got up and handed the calmer boy to Tanya, who left the two alone while she went to put the prince to bed. Alyssa turned to Aegon and walked up to him hastily only to rest her head on his chest, making the prince freeze for just a moment before closing his arms around her.

"Someone's grumpy today" He placed a kiss on the crown of her head and rested his cheek on the top of it.

"I'm not," she murmured.

"Don't be offended, I'm not complaining."

"You're the absolute worst"

"I know I am"

The door flung open, and just as earlier that morning, a very happy little boy rushed into the chamber and flew between his father and mother. Mariah came in behind him out of breath.

"Look who's arrived," Aegon said, as she lifted Baelon up in her arms. "Why do you have so much energy today?"

"Forgive me, princess, but I can't catch up with him."

"Mama! I big boy!"

"You are, my sweet boy" She kissed his cheek before he was put back down on the floor and began to pull her arm. "must go"