69. Pledge My... "love"

Lady Josette's wedding dress

The memory was far from vague, the memory of servants running around the chamber like dizzy hens with cloth, clothes, jewelry. One should pull on your arm to tighten the dress while the other tries to do your hair.

That's exactly what Alyssa saw right now. Josette stood by the mirror, her smile covering her face, making the others around her smile as well. From where Alyssa was sitting, it looked like she was very excited about this wedding.

"What do I look like? Do you think the prince will like it?"

Alyssa looked up at Josette, who was standing on a stool in front of the mirror while the maids fixed the small details of her dress. It was a plain white dress with a simple pattern of embroidery, didn't look nearly as heavy as Alyssa's dress had been. Josette's pale skin and dark hair made the dress look very flattering on her indeed.

"You look gorgeous, my lady." She answered, but only to her first question. It almost felt awkward that it was Aemond she was going to marry, all the conversation led to him and she didn't want to hear a word about him at all.

"Her grace is very generous."

"Mmmm, yes she certainly is."

Alyssa found herself in a very pensive mood this morning even though she tried to be happy and helpful when it came to Josette and this wedding. But it was hard, and she wished it didn't have to be that way.

"Do you think the prince would appreciate more or less of anything? Do I have too much jewelry?"

"What do you think? Do you think you are missing something?"

"No I... I don't know"

"Let me put it this way" she cleared her throat "Do you feel beautiful?"

Josette looked back into her reflection and waited a few seconds to answer. As if she needed to think about it herself. "I would say so, yes."

"Then it doesn't matter what Aemond thinks."

She saw Josette's mouth lift in a smile and she returned it. All this felt very rushed, yesterday they had met her for the first time and the very next day they were getting married. At least they waited a while before her and Aegon's wedding. Well, it was maybe two or three days, but there was a little bit of space in between.

She had brought a ring with her, in her possession she had many rings, almost too many, but this one Aemond had given to her in their childhood. It was a rose golden piece with a sapphire in the middle, a gemstone that has been his favorite for years.