71. Stroke Of Ill Luck

Life as queen of the Seven Kingdoms could attract the interest of many, and that was understandable. A life of luxury, a life of high rank and status.

But when you hear the title called, it's rare to think about the consequences, the bad thing about being of such high status and being married to a sick man, having four children who are still far down the line of succession.

The smell in the room is musty, stuffy, and the smell of blood and decay makes Alicent hold the handkerchief closer to his mouth and nose, hoping to avoid feeling that dreadful smell.

Viserys's condition had been turning to the better acording to the maesters and royal physicians. But sometimes they seemed to be as useless as street rats.

She heard the sound of the knife cutting, she heard the older men talking to each other as to what was to be done.

Alicent stood with his back to the bed, completely disgusted but also worried about the whole thing. After all, he was her husband and the king, he was needed, his presence and his well-being were of the utmost importance and that's just the way it was.

She heard heavy footsteps approaching her, but she refused to turn around, afraid of seeing the horrors going on behind her.

"The operation is going well, my queen. But I'm afraid there's a lot to remove," spoke the grand maester. Alicent could see out of the corner of his eye the blood on his sleeves, among other things, and did his best not to vomit.

"... What needs to be done?... "

"We've removed his right ring finger and middle finger... But in the process, we were told it wasn't enough."

She swallowed hard, "What more? express your musts in plain language."

"The whole arm will have to be removed, your Grace. And some are already working on the removal of his right eye..."

She closed her eyes, asked the gods why, but received no answer. The words "The gods can be cruel" echoed in her head.

With a few steps away from the grand maester she was now standing by the window, the weather getting colder and colder as the days went by. Her mind wandered and thought of all the possibilities and risks with them, the fact that the king would die soon, not in a few years, soon, was a thought she had to play with a little, would it hurt her deeply?

If Rhaenyra became queen, it wouldn't look good for her. If she could so easily suggest that a child be questioned sharply after being maimed, then she would have no problem sending her and her child away.

Alicent will be left as a dowager queen but nothing more than that, her children will be taken care of by Daemon in her own way, on that she was certain.

She had hoped that the union between Aegon and Alyssa would prevent that, but once she thought about it, she might as well anul the marrige once she became queen. Perhaps this pact was purely to please her father.

Anything was possible in this scenario and Alicent desperately tried to come up with a solution.

Tears still stained the young queen's cheeks when she thought of her father's departure. and it was not at all the way she had expected this to go. It was all just a mistake, how could her husband see him so untrustworthy that he gets sent to Oldtown?

Alicent lifted the skirt of her dress as she walked down the grand stairs. Noblemen and women bowed in her presence, but what the hell did it matter?

She was alone now, she's going to waste away here in King's Landing while her father stays in Oldtown, all for Rhaenyra and her lie. From what she was told by Larys, she had lied about losing her maidenhead. It may not have been with the rouge prince, but it was with a guard. Either way, her father hadn't lied.