75. The Hand's Twisted Allegiance

It had been a long day indeed, and by this time it was already dark outside as Alyssa sat patiently waiting for word from the maester about the letter she had sent to her mother. Many had been sent without a response, but this time she strongly hoped that there would be something for her.

Helaena had helped her get through this whole dreadful day and in her chamber there would soon be a cup of milk of the poppy to soothe her presence until they drag her into a deep sleep. Helaena had been right when she said that too much could hurt, hurt in an addictive way. Now she understood why Aegon loved wine so much, the only difference was that what she drank didn't give her a headache the next day.

She was mindlessly twisting her rings and it started to bore her and almost make her in some way. It was becoming uncomfortable to fiddle with the rings, even though it had helped her with stress and uncertainty all these years.

Exhaustion finally settled over her like a heavy blanket and she sighed deeply. Please let there be answers...

Two maesters came out of where they had been with empty hands, they exchanged glances before the other started talking. "I'm sorry, Your Highness, but nothing has been received from Dragonstone."

When Alyssa heard that nothing had been messed up, she felt the anger that she had been trying to calm all day bubble up again. Why weren't they here, why didn't they have the decency to write to their own daughter?!

She was seething as she looked around the room, trying to breathe deeply and calm herself. "How long does it usually take for news to arrive in dragonstone?"

"It all depends on the weather, my princess, with the raven it can take around three days for news to reach dragonstone." He replied slowly, perhaps a little cautious with his choice of words as Alyssa seemed to get more and more furious by the minute.

It's not their fault...

Instead of letting out the anger inside her, she sighed again and nodded with a small smile, "Thank you for your time" she said, lifting her skirt to go up the small stairs "Good evening".

With that, she left the room disappointed, hurt, exhausted and ready to cry from all the fucking stress. She thought back to what it looked like just under a month ago.

"Aegon it's cold, come inside now."

It had gotten dark and in between the wind was blowing cold air that made Alyssa rush even though she was in there. The thought that her husband was out in that cold was enough to make her freeze.

He turned around, still with his hands on the balcony railing. "I will, give me a minute."

He was wearing nothing warmer than a white tunic and trousers as usual, his short hair was a little tousled from the wind and he looked tired.

This day had been long and they hadn't seen each other all day, so she felt clingy, she had missed him during the day. She went out onto the balcony and ignored the cold wind, instead focusing on his body heat as she put her arms around his waist and rested the side of her head against his back.

She felt him shake slightly as he chuckled at her. "What's the matter with you? So loving, so sweet, what have I done to earn this affection?"

In response, she tightened her grip and closed her eyes. "I've missed you," she replied obviously. As if he was silly for asking. "Come in and spend some time with me."

She might not have seen his face, but she knew he was smirking. Aegon then turned around and looked down at her, giving her perfect view of his features. "Someone is unusually clingy tonight"