82. Turn Of Events

"Your Grace," adressed the male servant respectfully, holding a parchment list in his hands."you have multiple engagements today."

Alicent nodded, not playing much attention to what he was a out to say but rather the clouds outside while fidgeting with the small seven pointed star around her neck while her Maids fussed over her hair.

"You have several petitions to hear, your grace, invudling those of Lord Bracken and some of the workers around town. Acouncil meeting also calls for your attention where as the master of coin has important buissnes to discuss as well as the master of law. A scheduled visit with the maester regard ing the king and-."

"Thank you, I will see to it shortly"

The servant nodded and reluctantly stepped out of the room, sending the queens distress.

Alicent waved the maids of, feeling like she had been seated in that dreadful chair for far too long. The irritation was evident in her face as the maids left and all felt pointless, like time stood still.

She crossed the room, her skirts rustling softly as she walked. Approaching the round table where her father, Otto Hightower, was sitting, his fingers delicately picking at his breakfast while he sipped his wine.

"Father," she greeted him, her voice cool and polite.

"You are upset" he said, more a statement then a question.

The queen exhaled softly before answering. "It is no easy task to rule a kingdom"

Otto glanced up at her, his gaze shrewd underneath bushy eyebrows. "no," he agreed, "it is not."

He took a sip from his goblet, the wine leaving a faint red stain on his lips. "It takes strength, wisdom, and a great deal of sacrifice."

Alicent nodded solemnly, her hands clasping together in front of her. "Sacrifice," she repeated quietly. "Yes, I have learned that there is no shortage of sacrifice in ruling a kingdom."

She paused, her gaze lingering on her father for a moment before she spoke again. "Did everything go according to plan last night?"

He nodded, still eating his food without looking up. "I sent the serving girl to court to serve the lords refreshments, more importantly to find out wich are our allies before the storm. But she hasn't reporter back yet, only the gods know where that girl has gone"

Alicent raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "She hasn't reported back yet?" she echoed, her tone betraying a hint of concern. "She should have returned hours ago. Has there been any word from the Red Keep guards about her whereabouts?"

"No" he shook his head. "But pay it no mind, she will report shortly"

"Very well," she said, forcing a smile. "I'm sure you're right. It's still early, she probably just became delayed."

She took a seat herself, letting herself relax. Her shoulders slumped, her facade of calm slipping for a moment. She rested her head in her hands, her fingers massaging her temples as weariness overcame her.

"The pressure of court life can be taxing," Otto observed, taking another sip of his wine. "You must remember to take care of yourself, my daughter."

Alicent lifted her head and met her father's gaze, her eyes lacking some of their usual luster. "Tis not the duties, it was not long ago we lost little princess Aelys"

Otto's expression softened slightly at the mention of his great grandchild. "Yes," he agreed. "The passing of little Aelys was a great tragedy. But in due time, the dead must be left in the past." He told her and leaned forward, his eyes narrowing. "Despite the loss," he began, his voice laced with confidence, "the favor of the gods still lie with us."