Tempt the Devil: Chapter 7: Anton

The humans in the room froze as the sleep command filtered through Sarah.

"You need to stop doing that, milord. It will end up frying her brain."

"There is no evidence to support that theory Delano, merely demon banter."

"She knows." Igor offered as he walked towards us. "She is too smart my lord. We falter with our addressing you and she sees it. I do not want to be in the pit because of this."

I nodded, looking down at the woman asleep in my arms.

"Sarah is a good boss, I like my job."

"I understand what you are saying, Igor. Don't screw it up, I get it. We will be back before the dinner rush. I expect that this place will be run efficiently and without issue. Igor, your domain is the kitchen and all who dwell within it. Delano, yours is the dining room. Do not fail me on this restaurant, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes my lord." they both said with their dutiful bow.

Delano put Sarah's purse and keys onto her body just as I disappeared into the air, reappearing in my apartment. Cerberus followed me through the apartment, watching me as I laid her on the bed in the largest of the spare bedrooms.

I sat on the bed beside her, brushing the strands of black hair from her face. She was wearing jeans again, clearly a favored article of clothing. Today it was paired with a dark blue top, one that suited her complexion. Below the jacket was the thin strap of the shirt, connecting to the top on the curve of her breasts. The material was soft to the touch, the hem sat just at the line of her jeans.

I pulled the black boots away from her feet and pulled the bed covers over her. It was best if she remained clothed this time. I could not get away with a lie about a dream again.

The realization that I was screwing this up flooded through me. Sadness and anxiety filtered through as Cerberus rested his head on my lap. I scratched behind his ear, watching his tail slowly fan back and forth over the floor.

"You may stay with her if you so wish but please let her wake naturally."

I wandered through the apartment, feeling rather listless and disheartened for everything. Resting in the library, I thought over the past twenty-four hours. It had started so well, it seemed so easy. I had based this whole scenario on my previous conquests. Believing that I could just smile and not have to worry about the consequences. But Sarah wasn't a demon. She didn't lust for the delights of the flesh like they did. Demons would walk away and not care if they never saw their lover again but I knew that Sarah would.

She asked questions about everything, she was so fragile. I barely knew her and I knew that I was already breaking her. I saw the look when I said that I would be on my merry way in a few weeks' time. Humans did things differently and I had forgotten that. I couldn't expect to walk away after getting to know her. It was foolish of me to think that we could spend this time learning everything about each other and not have it affect her when it was over.

But did I want it to be over? I couldn't say. It hasn't even been twenty-four hours and yet I am drawn to her like no other. Maybe the fiery furball was onto something when he picked her. Maybe if I was open and honest, I could find a path with her. If it was for a month or for longer, it didn't matter. I would have to accept what she wanted. After all, she was the one that had to agree to my offer. Otherwise, I'd be stuck without a date.

It was wise to tell her, not only because honesty was the best policy but because I was taking her to a wedding that was filled with all manner of being. From vampire elders to elf royalty, she would see so much. But would she understand? But a better question to ask was, would she keep her mouth shut if she knew?

My mind had made its decision. She was to be told, she was to promise to keep the secret and if she couldn't then I would have to remove all interactions that we'd had and start over with another person. It was a sinking thought.

I stared out at the city skyline thinking about the predicament. What I should have done was gathered all of the demon women and told them exactly what I needed and then pulled one of their names from a hat. Or some kind of lottery system, something that didn't actually involve me picking one over the rest of them. But somewhere in the depths of my mind, I knew that it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to know what love was. To have a woman look into my eyes and see deep into me. The yearning of the heart as one waits to see their lover. To love rather than meaningless sex. Waking beside a loved one after a good night's rest. Feeling their warm body against mine in the cold of the night.

I stood from the lounge and wandered to the liquor cabinet, momentarily looking at my watch. Noon already, time certainly flies when having fun. I poured the scotch and wished I had the inclination to walk to the kitchen for ice. With a despairing mood, I found little resource for making my own.

Clouds filled with rain moved over the land, the sky slowly darkening along with my mood. It wasn't in my nature to control the weather but I felt like a little gloom to match my morose frame of mind. The view of the city drenched in rain wasn't lifting my mood, not that I expected it to. Lightning strikes lit up the black, in the flash of the light, I saw a reflection on the glass.

Sarah was awake.