Shadow of Death: Chapter 30: Sarah

Anxiety filled me as I watched Brannon sitting on the edge of the deck. Anton was keeping a watchful eye on him, but I still couldn't tear away from my little man.

We were in our swimmers now, the sun was bright and warm, and the water was refreshingly cool. I was standing in waist deep water, holding my hands out to Brannon.

"Come on baby boy; mommy wants a cuddle."

He was more interested in the board shorts we had put on him, fascinated by the string that was tied off near his navel.

"Brannon, your mother is going to get sore arms and complain at me if you don't move."

Two bright blue eyes looked up at his father who was sitting on the deck beside him, offering an adorable, cheeky smile.

"You've been given a chance to test out the wings, and now you're not interested."

"Maybe daddy needs to get his out."

Leaning on the edge of the decking beside Brannon, I watched as Anton stepped out into the water. His toes skimmed the edge of the cool, trailing a line through the water as his wings sprawled out. I still found it fascinating that Anton had wings that he hadn't shown me until the other day. There were no marks on his back, nothing that ever gave a single clue as to what was hidden deep inside of him. My husband was a mystery at the best of times, to learn he had the ability to push a pair of wings out whenever he desired was mind blowing.

Brannon shrieked with happiness as he watched his father. Anton held out his hands and waited.

The wings unfurled again, slowly he gave them a heavy thrust and lifted his backside off the deck. Anton wasn't far away if he leaned forward he could have picked him up. This wasn't about distance; this was about take-off. Strengthening the muscles and learning basic skills.

But this mommy was quietly freaking out. Slowly Brannon moved higher, gurgling and munching on his hand.

"Keep going, Brannon," Anton said in a calm tone.

His eyes turned from freaked out mom to cool as a cucumber dad, holding his hands out as his legs flailed madly. Anton chuckled, scooping him up into his arms.

"Who is daddy's little genius?"

I was half expecting him to say me, surprising his bewildered parents with the power of speech. There was nothing but his usual shrieks and gurgles. Settling into his father's arms, Brannon folded his wings in neatly to his back.

"Look, your mother misses you already Brannon. Can you fly back to her and give her a big kiss?"

It took a few attempts and what looked like uncertainty on his face, but with a gentle coaxing, he came back to me. The kiss on my cheek was an opened mouth slobbering, but it was certainly sweet. His wings settled back to their resting position as he snuggled into the crook of my neck.

"And we are out of here." Anton crooned with a mighty grin.

I chuckled, shaking my head as I stood on the deck. Anton moved to the door with ease, barely moving his wings. I was in awe of how easy he made it seem. As his feet gently touched his wings folded in, with a devious smile that lingered a little too low, he opened the door.

In the cool of the room, I padded over the floor, hearing Anton close the door. Our little man might be asleep, but that didn't mean he wouldn't wake and try to fly again. I didn't want to wake and find him crawling on the deck, or worse. It might be over protective, but I couldn't take the risk. Not that there was much of one being that he couldn't die.

Anton was right, with all the exertion I was able to change Brannon into a diaper and put him into bed without waking him. Standing by his crib and watching him sleep was my favorite past time. He was so sweet, to say that he looked angelic was accurate, but I didn't dare say it out loud. It would result in a lot of grumpiness from his father. The devil's son was not angelic, end of subject. I smiled as I looked down at Brannon, he was angelic.

A pair of hands found my hips; tender lips kissed the back of my neck as he pulled me to his body.

"What are you thinking about?"

That our son looks like an angel my mind offered with a dark chuckle.

"I'm rather hot," I said, trying to change the subject.

"Yes, I had noticed your incredible beauty."

"I meant hot and bothered, mister corny."

Anton turned me around, lifting my arms over his shoulders. Red shimmered through his eyes as a playfulness entered his face. I loved this Anton to bits; he was so cheeky and cute. I suppose it was in his nature to be everything that a person desired, everything that they wanted and a whole lot more.

"I prefer mister smooth and charming, who is appreciative of his wife."

"Yeah, that too."

He pulled my legs around his waist and walked to the bathroom, stepping into the shower. I gasped as the cold water hit me, slowly acclimatizing to the cool. Anton pulled away my clothes, letting them join his on the floor of the shower.

"Cooled off now my love?"

"Absolutely."

"Good."

Anton pressed me to the wall, kissing me deeply as he lifted my legs around his waist again. This was another favorite place, being in his arms, having him between my legs. It didn't matter if it would lead to sex or if it was just kissing, it was wonderful to have him so close.

I had one week of him and this holiday, no worrying about anything. Our biggest concern was deciding what to eat for our next meal. Nick was looking after the underworld, Anton had great confidence in his ability. Things in our world had shifted to a better place. There was always an uncertainty, but I knew that we would always be strong no matter what. We had each other to bolster ourselves and keep our world powerful. The scales had tipped in our favor, but as Elstrach had suggested, it was only minimal. It was enough to keep us as the dominating force.

Our kiss slowed, Anton gently pulled on my bottom lip as a smile crept across his lips. My hands slid over his torso as he pressed his forehead to mine.

"I do believe that the devil is rather happy Sarah. Who can we blame for that?"

"Me?" I asked coyly.

"And what are we going to do about it?"

"Accept it."

He chuckled, pressing his lips to mine again for a soft and slow kiss. Sweetly passionate that offered love with enough heat to continue the growing pleasure.

"Maybe he could offer his gratitude with a lifetime of love."

"He could," Anton said. "But he'd prefer a lifetime and a day."