Queen of Hell: Chapter 1: Anton

My world had finally fallen into place. I am the devil and through a masterful play I disbanded the council of deities and claimed earth as my own. Everything that I had done, had been true and just and keeping with the rules of my kind. It was never my intention to own it, it was just a show of power. The devil could never really own earth, he could reign his power upon it and wield an unholy nightmare of demons and death. Maybe I might let Cerberus out for a run, let the beast out in his true form and plunder the earth in a reign of fire.

I was waiting for one of the angels to turn up and tell me to hand it back. Maybe I might even be blessed with a visit from an archangel. I could refuse and start an unholy war, it would certainly keep me amused for a few years.

But as I looked at Sarah asleep on the bed, I knew that I really could not be bothered with the fight for earth. As sad as it sounded I, the devil himself would prefer to renovate a building and create a home with this wonderful woman. Make it ready for the children that we were going to have and create a life with her. One that would be filled with happiness and love.

So instead of creating mayhem and destruction, I would opt for quiet and peaceful life. I would wait for those that watched over the earth to realize that the master of hell governed a place that he should not and come to take it away.

Until then I would do as I have always done, though now there was something different in my life.

"We should be going home soon."

Sarah looked up at me, sleepily rubbing her eyes.

"It would be wise for Castian to return to the safety of his home."

She nodded, sitting up on the bed. The last of the transformation had finished, she was still a little groggy but that was normal.

"Will he be safe now?"

"For a while I suppose."

Castian was a child, a vampire who had been subjected to a spell that would have him become a human and ultimately, kill him. He was Nicolas and Rowan's child and their world were being inundated by someone's need to rule the vampire world. Whoever it was, was invading my world as well. They dared to involve me, use me or my world for their own illicit gain. It made me angry and it was why I had my demons watching the vampires and the witches, whoever it is will suffer by my hand.

I stood and packed the few things that had been brought with us, calling for Igor.

The man stood at least a head taller than me and twice my size, he had been a demon for quite some time now and of more recent months, a chef in Sarah's restaurant.

"My lord."

"Igor, would you kindly ensure that Nicolas and his family are safely returned to the Lancaster dynasty house please?"

"Of course my lord."

Igor tipped his head with a fond smile to Sarah. "My lady."

"Sarah. Don't be starting that nonsense, Igor."

His eyes darted to me with hesitation. I offered a shrug and a smile. "She is your boss Igor and more importantly, my love. If she becomes angered due to the rules of diplomacy then I am sure that it will be me that suffers the most. May I suggest that for when you are working and she is your boss, she is Sarah. When doing duties for your demon world she is your queen."

I turned to Sarah.

"That is only fair Sarah, you must remember that the demons are bound to serve their lord and diplomacy is required. You cannot be telling them that they must go against what they are told, if they break the rules then they are sent to the pit."

"Alright then, work I'm Sarah, anything else is whatever you want."

Igor smiled with a nod and turned to the door. Once he was gone I turned back to Sarah, looking into those bright blue eyes.

"Time to go home my love."

She smiled, wrapping her arms around me.

"I don't think I've ever been so happy to hear those words."

I laid my arms around her, clutching at the bag as we disappeared into the air. Igor had already left, escorting Nicolas, Rowan, and Castian home and ensuring their safety. It was all that I could do for them, it was the safest way for them to get there. Traveling through the underworld was no longer safe, with a full blood vampire traveling in daylight was not possible and demons with ruby red eyes seemed to not blend with the humans for some reason.

Reappearing in the apartment, I felt the most at ease I had ever been. This was our home now, the other apartment that I owned was now gone. It had been a penthouse suite, one that was too high in the sky for Sarah. She feared to go there, in the few times I had managed to persuade her she was always anxious.

The room was dark, the curtains were drawn to hide the morning sun. In the dappled light that streamed through the crack of the material, I could see something different. Once I had been relaxed, now I was filled with dread. Sarah flung open the curtains and let the sunlight pour into the room, revealing a malevolent smile of a man that I had all but forgotten.

He looked at me with a knowing and dark smile, sitting in the chair at the tiny dining table. Sarah turned with a huge smile and gasped in shock, seeing the man that she clearly did not know was in the room.

I should have expected that he would come. I should have known better. Maybe I had cursed myself this morning when I thought that I might be blessed with an archangel. There was no being blessed with their company.

"Good morning Anton." he said in his usual smooth and charming tone.

"Michael." I returned coldly.