Playing with Fire: Chapter 5: Anton

We sat snuggled into the corner, drinking far too heavily. I wasn't one to drink so excessively but with everything in the underworld in the hands of a caretaker, I could relax. As could Nicolas and Rowan. It wasn't much of a gift but an early end to their work day so that they could relax before their wedding and then the time for the honeymoon seemed fitting for them. One little gift that didn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things but to them, it meant the world. And in giving them something that meant so much, I earned a higher level of respect from them. Thus ensuring their loyalty which in the coming days I would desperately need.

So, in reality, my offer was rather self-serving. Nothing new really.

Castian and Ella were gone now, Alvarie and Hemoi taking them back to their quarters for a more relaxing and quiet evening once they had fed. Sarah watched with quiet awe. First, it was Ella. I don't think she could get over how easily Ella took to live feeding. Then she watched Castian and with a giggle, she ignored the pre-teen boy who was enjoying the pretty woman far too much.

Rowan didn't stay to watch, claiming that there were some things that a mother should never see. Nick, however, stayed, removing the hand that tried to venture and scolding him for it. The problem with feeders is that they sometimes become a little delirious and don't know what's happening to them, so the poor girl had no clue. Lucky that his vigilant father was paying close attention to him. Clearly, Nick had passed on his womanizing ways through his genes, give this kid a few years and soon he'll be out on the town like his father had once been.

New feeders had arrived, Sarah watched with fascination as Eliria fed with William.

"I don't understand," Sarah whispered.

"She is a type of elf that adapts to the being that she is predominately around namely, a vampire. And she is also carrying a child which makes her hunger for it more."

Sarah was almost transfixed, there was always something seductive about a relaxed feeding. With time on their side, a vampire could delay the process and give the feeder an easier time. But it still hurt, or so I am told. I couldn't imagine having a pair of sharp fangs sunk into my body being anything less than painful.

When Nick started his drunk singing, the air of temptation that had once filled the room evaporated. Of course, that isn't exactly how he planned it. Singing to his extremely sober fiance, he earned himself a few cackles of laughter and then Marty joining in.

"You can't sing Marty." Nick frowned as the words slowly drawled out "It's about loving my woman."

"Oh but you know I can darling brother. Want me to prove it on your wife?"

"No. Definitely not." he shook his head abruptly "You can go elsewhere for your lady kisses."

Her eyes dragged around the room.

"Don't bother," William said without even raising an eye from the neck of the woman he was buried in.

Eliria lifted her head with a pout, Sarah's eyes widened as she watched William kiss her. His tongue dragged over the trail of blood that seeped from her mouth.

"It's pretty hot, right?" Marty purred in Sarah's ear.

"Looking for something, in particular, Martine?"

Her head moved to the side, catching my gaze.

"You know me." she offered with a fluttering of her eyes and a sultry grin "I don't discriminate."

She leaned closer, her hands on the bench seat.

"Just one."

"What bite?" Sarah's tone was slightly higher as she asked.

"She means a kiss, Sarah."

Sarah turned to me with a deep frown.

"But the rules state that I cannot with another."

"Unless I agree to it and am present for whatever may pass, then that rule does not apply."

Marty leaned to one side, catching my gaze again.

"So come on d boy, give up your chicky babe for just one little kiss."

She offered the fluttering of her eyes and the big pout, hoping that it might convince me to freely give away my love's affection.

"I seriously doubt that I am drunk enough for that."

Marty grinned with a slight waggle of her eyebrows.

"I'll ask again later. Nick, get your boss another scotch. He says he's not drunk enough."

I huffed, pretending to show derision. It was a pure lie. I'd like nothing more than to see it and a whole lot more. But Sarah wasn't offering the right reaction for me to offer anything more than evasive answers.

"My lord." Nick stood to his feet, swishing the glass of rum a little too freely. "I make a request to sell my soul so that I can do this every year."

"I already own your soul Nicolas even if it is drunk beyond measure."

A soft sniggering broke out and even though she thought I didn't see it, Marty moved closer. How did I know? Well, that was the not so subtle gesture to her partner Antonio to move along with her.

"But my lord." Nick pleaded again "Are we not having such fun that this should be an event every year?"

"Otherwise known as wedding anniversaries," Rowan said with a slight giggle.

"Yes." he swished that glass again as he responded to her "Leave the kids with... my parents are dead."

Then he frowned.

"Marty!"

"Like hell." she snorted with laughter.

Nick dumped himself onto the seat beside Rowan.

"Sorry baby, no drunk sex next year."

"Do we really need to hear that Nicolas?" William asked.

"Yeah." his eyes went wide as he hissed it out. "My baby likes it when I."

Rowan's hand slapped to his mouth, muffling the remainder of what he said. She howled with laughter and wiped her hand on his jeans.

"You like the tongue baby." he crooned.

She laughed harder, falling into the seat as he leaned over her with his tongue sticking out of his mouth.

"Your friends are crazy," Sarah said quietly.

I watched as Nicolas was trying to crawl over Rowan, waggling his tongue at her. Yeah, they were crazy all right.