Tempt the Devil: Chapter 23: Anton

Underneath the pooling light of a hanging lantern, the stenographer sat and clicked away at her little machine. Recording everything that has and will be said.

"Let it be known that all seven of the dimensions are represented today."

My eyes darted to the Solanite, wondering how he got out of his locked dimension. Tyrannical rulers tend to keep a really good eye on their gates and the fact that this guy is on earth is a little concerning.

For now, I said nothing. I wanted this interview to move favorably for me and pissing off a council member with questions that do not relate to the subject of the interview was not wise.

"The locator has identified and confirmed the details of the subject in question, advising us of the confirmation of her status. We note that in your application form you have listed that you have not been intimate with the girl. Is there anything you wish to advise us master Dremain?"

"Yes, I filled that out before what you are referring to."

"I see." she said in a dull droned out voice.

"We have not done anything more than that day."

Not that it's any of your business.

She did not look at me. Instead, her eyes moved down the document as she tried to find another place to nit-pick.

"You state that she has empathy for her fellow man and wishes to sell gifts in order to fund her charity work. What gifts master Dremain?"

"I bought her clothes and accessories for our meals together. She was talking about her wish to be more charitable and asked if I would be offended if she sold them to fund her work. I told her I would not. It is a noble gesture, is it not?"

"Of course it master Dremain. However, we can't help but wonder how often she intends to sell your gifts."

My mind hissed with frustration, the tapping of the stenographer was annoying and detracting my thoughts from concentrating.

"What I buy her with my own money is my concern and no one else's. If I do not hold offence to her selling them then you should not either."

The man beside her leaned in and whispered, the grand councilor smiled supremely at me. There were few on this board of councilors that I could hold favor with but there was one that I knew would always lean towards my needs rather than keep with what the council wanted. He was the councilor for Faelen, the fae and elf world. Their beloved princess had managed to end up in the underworld twice and on both occasions, I returned her to the land of the living. Something that was greatly appreciated in their world.

"Now you have mentioned having business ties with the girl, please explain this master Dremain."

"An expensive pickup line."

There was a soft murmur of amusement from the far end of the table, the representative from Gaulth finding it funny.

"This is not comedy hour master Dremain." the grand councilor frowned as she snapped at me.

"But it is the truth. I saw her on the crosswalk as she picked up pieces of paper that she had dropped. Someone had clipped her shoulder and knocked them from her arms. I helped her and then Cerberus whined at me."

"You take Cerberus to the surface?"

She looked at me blankly, seemingly shocked.

"He only has one head out." I said rather annoyed at her "And he douses the fire. He looks like a normal dog. You'd be surprised at how well he does it."