Shadow of Death: Chapter 10: Sarah

We took a long walk to the office building, Brannon asleep and Cerberus happily walking beside us. Anton was fascinated with everything baby-related, from the wipes to the diapers, he looked at everything with genuine interest.

I was sitting in the reception area with his assistant Nolia; she was holding Brannon and cooing over him. Cerberus was beside her, watching his charge with eagerness. Anton had mentioned that Cerberus would always take care of Brannon and all of our children, he was a loyal guard dog and could be trusted because he was bound to his master.

Anton was in his office; I could hear him talking to the two demons who looked after the birds. It was a difficult situation for Anton, the fellow that was doing the crows had taken over from Nick and Anton was yet to warm to him. He had a soft spot for Nick and to let him walk away has hurt him incredibly.

I could understand why he liked him, I barely knew Nick, and I liked him. He was cheeky, funny and deep down there was a great person who was loyal and dependable. His love for Rowan and their children, his family and friends were amazing, and I think it was something that impressed Anton.

To his credit, Anton kept going. He was holding the meeting with the new guy like there was no issue but I knew there was. Nick was his right hand, a noble duty and one that was not given lightly. I'd learned that from Nolia who, in between her cooing at Brannon said that she wasn't surprised that Nick was given such a role. He had the makings of being a demon of worthy power, and Anton knew that when he created the demon, giving some of his blood.

"Can I ask you something?"

Nolia looked up at me with surprise, passing Brannon back as she smiled.

"Of course my lady."

"Why wouldn't he make them stay here? He could let them bring Castian and the babies; he could tell them they weren't expected to go to war if there was one."

She pulled a stray hair from her face as she smiled again, tucking the offending hair behind her ear.

"Well, my understanding is that it was a decision that was made for several reasons. Bringing vampires into the underworld permanently means that there has to be a blood source for them, they are classed as born vampires, so that means that they require a living food source. Then there is the issue that Castian is actually a master, of course, that could be passed to the aunt, but that requires the authorisation of Master Lancaster. I believe that time may have been a concern and with Master Lancaster in Faelen, time did not permit. Then there is the issue of the children, of course, with your own children it isn't really an issue but it was one that would play on the mind. And of course, we can't forget their own family and friends. I believe that Nick is very close to his sister and I don't think he would be a happy demon if he couldn't see his family and friends. And I do believe that master likes happy demons, especially the ones he is fond of."

I nodded a little glumly; the reasons made sense. Anton thought of Nick and Rowan first, himself second.

"I was raised in a religious household, this view of the devil is quite surprising."

Nolia grinned broadly, leaning back into the chair as one leg crossed the other. I had to say, she was a beautiful woman, and the little green monster reared her ugly head, whispering that she was far too close to Anton. I ignored it, remembering how hard he worked to keep us together.

"That's because the view of the devil, the books that you read and the life that you have been told to lead has been pushed by those that want to rule the humans. They want them to believe that the devil is pure evil, that his temptations and deals are horrific and that we demons are the filth of the land. Now you and I know that the devil is evil, he is a monster of all things dark and you should pray that you never get to see the beast within him. His temptations are pure sin, but those that get the opportunity to experience them walk away with a smile that cannot be wiped for several days."

I knew about that one, the day at the beach had me floating on a happy high. Maybe we needed to go back to the beach.

"Deals, well, you and I know that someone has to be pretty desperate to accept a deal. But look at it from another point of view, what if he is someone that gives hope to the unfortunate? And what about us lowly demons? They look at us like we are scum, demons are not filth." She said with an angry tone and hurt in her face. "We were all humans once, we all needed something desperately, and our master gave it to us. They want you to believe that everything down here is evil, that we aren't wanted nor needed. This place is treated as if it is the garbage dump of the world. When Michael came here, he put a damned cloth on the chair, as if it was dirty."

Did I dare suggest that maybe he was a clean freak and might have done that everywhere he went? Nope, shut your mouth, Sarah.

"This place is beautiful." She murmured, her eyes gazing out the large glass wall beside us. "It's not filthy; our master goes to a lot of effort to ensure that the beauty is perfect, that the land is pristine. Their words are an insult to his efforts. He was made for this role; he was assigned this duty yet they look at him as if they do not want him. They treat us as if we are unworthy of standing beside them yet we are no different to them. Archangels care for heaven; they have infra and deus angels to assist them like the demons do for our master."

"What are they?"

"Deus are secondary to an archangel; you know deus, two."

I nodded a little shocked.

"Infra is below, as the lowest of angels. I know they suggested that it was either a deus or an infra that blew up your shop but I think it was an infra angel. They are made to do everything; they're like the gopher of the angel world."

"Oh."

"But it is as it will always be. We are the garbage collectors of the earth, reaping the souls and bringing them to the dump. Recycle what is good and dump what is bad. My lady, what happens when the garbage collectors go on strike?"

"The rubbish piles up, nothing gets collected until an agreement is made that makes everyone happy."

Nolia smiled supremely, nodding her head slowly. Yes, I got the message loud and clear. I could only hope that those who needed to get the message got it as clearly as what I did.