Shadow of Death: Chapter 1: Anton

Life in the underworld had settled for a brief moment; I was grateful for the quiet so that I could enjoy the time watching my beautiful wife grow large with our unborn son. She was ready to give birth any day now, two days overdue and fussing over every little thing that was related to the baby.

The nursery had been set up, but she didn't want the child sleeping in another room, so the crib was in our room. In fact, a lot of things were making their way into our room. Personally, I didn't mind. It seemed easier to me, and I didn't want to be searching for another place in the middle of the night.

Sarah was at the castle when I left to tend to my morning duties at the office she was in the kitchen talking to Igor. I was happy to let her stay there with his company; he would guard her and keep her safe in my absence. There had been no threat since the fire at Sarah's restaurant, but I wasn't prepared to take the risk.

Things were moving well in the underworld, the demons were here and building their new lives, waiting for the day that we march to war. They were all residing in the underworld now, all except two. They were Nicolas, my right hand, and his wife, Rowan. Life for them now was rather full, children to care for and although they are indebted to a life of service, I know that one day soon I will have to end their contracts. Returning them to the vampires they once were was a better situation than to have them walking to a war that they may not return from. I couldn't look to their children and give my condolences with the knowledge that I could have saved them from their fate.

As to how long I had with them by my side, I do not know. Maybe I could hold off the war for long enough that my new right hand would be my son, then again the seer did speak of Sarah being by my side to help me rule. Maybe she was the one that would take over from Nicolas. But could I send him away? I didn't want to think of it; it felt like I was pulling a piece of my heart out. It wasn't a matter of if it would happen, it was a matter of when.

But that's what happens when you give a piece of yourself to another when they walk away it hurts. Nicolas had been made into a demon in an unconventional way, his veins pulsed with more than just demon blood, they pulsed with my blood.

With a pang of hurt, my heart lurched, and I turned to the view of my world. It was for the best, for the short term they could carry on but the second there was a hint of war, I'd do what was right for them. For me, however, it was nowhere near being right.

The view of the underworld was still a vast show of the trees, demons walked around tending to their duties and crows flew around waiting to be assigned a soul to collect. In the distance, beyond the blackened trees was the land that was being renewed for the demons to reside. Life was never meant to be easy for a demon, but I was a fair man. Fair to the point that it served a purpose of course. Happy demons meant they were willing to do as their master requested, with little fuss. And a happy demon was easily found with simple accommodations, a job that matched their talent and a reasonable life in the underworld. At the moment, no demons were walking the Earth. The gates had been locked, and they would remain that way for a while, at least until I decided what I wanted to happen. All that I wanted at the moment was Sarah and our child safe, and if that meant closing off Hell, then that's what I would do. And have done. No witches hanging around the courtyard or roaming the underworld, no easy thoroughfare for the vampires. It pained me to do it, but I was determined to keep my loved ones safe.

A soft knock on the door roused me from my thoughts; I turned my chair to see Nicolas standing at the doorway, Rowan behind him.

"My lord, we are ready to depart for the evening."

"Of course."

I smiled as best I could and stood, walking to the only gate that would open to the Earth now. It was a direct path to their home, and I was the only one that could open it.

"Have a pleasant evening."

"And you my lord."

Rowan smiled as she pushed the stroller through the gate, one that I was happy to take for a road test around the underworld. It was an exceptional brand that withstood the autumn leaves that were a mixture of dry on top and damp underneath or the heat of the ground. It wasn't easy; this was a man that was a fussy father to be.

As soon as the gate shut, I felt lust ripple through the room. Smiling at the thought of being treated to a visit from my lovely wife, I turned to see a view that was not welcome.

"Jaynda," I said tersely. "You don't have an appointment."

And I was about to leave for my love, and this place was about to be handed over to the night staff. The thought that this wasn't a business appointment crossed my mind.

"I am most sorry my lord, but I was eager to see you."

Her words cooed out over her full lips; her hand lingered on one hip as she leaned on my desk. My new desk which I did not want to be defiled by some lust filled demon.

"Well you have come at a bad time, I was leaving."

"Can't you stay for a moment? I thought that you might want to couple with me, delight your needs with my offerings."

"I am married, and you damned well know that. How dare you insult your queen with such an offer."

"But my lord," she cooed as her hand curved over her breast. "We have seen how she has grown fatter with the child, how you must yearn for something less cumbersome. And soon she will not be able to please you; I was once human, I know what happens to a woman after she has a child. There will be no pleasing for our Lord for some weeks; then she will become tired from tending to the child. We only care about our master's happiness, and we know that you are not happy."

The anger was boiling within me, seething to the point where I was ready to rip her to pieces.

"You know nothing!" I spat back angrily. "Don't you dare walk in here and tell me such horrid things about the woman I love. There is nothing cumbersome about her, and I will happily wait for her because she is all that I want. You are not what I want; you are a vile, poisonous creature."

My body shivered as my words faltered, Sarah appeared behind Jaynda. Seeing me looking behind her, Jayna turned and stuttered her greeting to her queen. Her queen that was not impressed.