chapter 13

AUTHOR POV

Yerin's appetite had vanished, her mind consumed by incessant thoughts of her predicament. In that moment, her phone unexpectedly rang—it was Leehan. Perplexed, Yerin muttered to herself, questioning why he was reaching out after ignoring her for so long. Tentatively, she answered the call, her voice filled with uncertainty. "Hello?" she said.

To her surprise, Leehan immediately expressed remorse for his previous behavior, acknowledging that Yuri was the one behind the silence. He revealed that even Jaehyun had become unresponsive to his attempts at communication. Overwhelmed by a sudden glimmer of hope, Yerin's tears began to flow uncontrollably. Finally, she felt a sliver of relief, realizing that she wasn't entirely helpless.

"Thank you, Leehan," Yerin managed to choke out amidst her tears. "I've felt so helpless these past few days."

Assuring her that he was there for her, Leehan shared that Jaemin had also experienced a positive transformation and was genuinely committed to helping her. He mentioned that Jaemin possessed evidence that could potentially convince Jake of the truth, as he had witnessed Yuri's actions firsthand.

Expressing her gratitude, Yerin requested that Leehan convey her appreciation to Jaemin. Despite her initial reservations about trusting Jaemin, his sincerity in offering assistance touched her heart, and she was genuinely thankful for his support.

Touched by Leehan's words and the promise of support from Wonyoung, Jaemin, and Leehan himself, Yerin was once again overcome with emotion. She was grateful to have Leehan by her side and, cautiously, she allowed herself to believe that there might be a chance to reunite with Jake.

JAEMIN POV

I, Jaemin, approached Jake afterschool. "Jake, can we talk?" Jake glared at me for a second but nodded anyway.
"Yerin didn't du-" But I got interuppted by Jake.
"Look, I don't know Yerin anymore. We are not related. So shut up."
"Listen." I raised my voice. Jake, obviously immediately shut up.
"I have plenty proof Yerin does not like me anymore. I am defending her for her own sake. I know she still hates me and I want to change that. I want her to not hate me. I don't need her to love me. She can love you instead, if you get what I mean. Just... look." I raised my phone with a recording of Yuri pushing Yerin on top of me. My bestfriend had sent me that. He was passing by the alley.
Jake obviously doubted this video. He frowned and just walked away. I guilt tripped him.
-
JAKE POV

After Jaemin showed Jake the video, it left him questioning who he could trust. The authenticity of the video came into question, as Jake wondered why Yerin hadn't shown it to him right away. Furthermore, Jaemin's defense of Yerin only added to Jake's confusion. Trusting them both became increasingly difficult for Jake. However, deep down, Jake couldn't deny how much he missed Yerin.