The Study

Her footsteps echoed in the empty hallway. Soon, everyone would be awake and she could say her goodbyes and take her leave. Then she could go home and sleep for three days straight. For some reason, she hadn't been able to say goodbye to Eris. On the contrary, she'd gone ahead and made all things worse. Tangling with a High Lord's heir would only lead to blood down the line. She had to stay neutral and she had to stay far far away from Eris Vanserra.

As Vel abruptly turned the corner she almost knocked down Nyoka.

"I was just looking for you, my lady. The High Lord has summoned you."

"Right now? Dawn hasn't even broken."

Nyoka's nose wrinkled in what Vel perceived to be disgust and she suddenly realised she hadn't bathed after they'd come back from the hunt. The faerie quickly schooled her face into neutrality.

"He has sent a message much earlier but I could not find you. Please don't keep him waiting or it will be on my skin." Nyoka seemed frantic at the prospect.

"Of course, please lead the way Nyoka."

The Forest House was eerily empty, no hurried servants or somber sentries. They reached the High Lord's study and Nyoka knocked. Unusually but wisely, she also waited until Beron invited them in.

She'd been here before, on her previous visits to the Autumn Court, and every time she found it suffocating. The room was stuffy and smelled of ash and old books. It had been built into the mountain, likely for the natural defense it provided. There were no windows, only grey stone, mahogany beams, and three ornate doors other than the one they'd just walked through. The walls were lined with bookshelves, laden with leather-bound tomes and old-yellowing parchments - Beron's personal library, away from prying eyes and inquisitive sons. In the middle of the room stood the High Lord's massive desk covered in more books and scrolls. Behind the desk was a large fireplace with a granite mantle. How the room had not caught on fire yet was a miracle only made possible by Autumn Court magic.

Vel took her usual spot, on the elegant leather couch across the desk. The couch and the small mahogany side table were the only pieces of furniture not covered in paper and neither of them seemed to have seen much use. The room was sweltering hot as usual. She took the wolf pelt off her shoulders and placed it on the back of the couch,

The High Lord himself sat at his desk reading a scroll that seemed to be as old as Vel herself. The high-backed chair that he was sitting in had once had some kind of beast heads carved into the handles, now the armrests were polished and cracked from use.

"Thank you for finally deigning to join me, Oracle," Beron said without looking up from his lecture. Vel felt Nyoka tense behind her.

"How kind of you to finally summon me," Vel replied icily. She tried to not provoke the High Lords if she could help it but she did not appreciate being kept in the dark. Beron looked up at her with furrowed brows.

"I assumed you would have been pleased to spend some time in the Autumn Court since you're always leaving in a hurry. Were you not happy with the arrangements I have made for you? Did my sons displease you?"

"The sightseeing was fine and your sons played good hosts, but I would have liked to sort out our business first ... or at least be provided any information at all when you called for me in the first place."

Beron hummed thoughtfully. "Would you like some tea? You seem irritable." Beron still seemed to be in his strangely good mood, no flare of fiery temper to be felt. They had been friends once. Vel almost felt bad for her rudeness. She sighed, trying to ease the tension in her body.

"I haven't been sleeping well. Some tea would be perfect." She saw Nyoka disappear through one of the doors behind Beron.

"I apologize if your accommodations have been unsuitable." Beron paused and rolled up the worn-out scroll he'd been reading from. "Or have your visions been keeping you awake?" Vel shook her head dejectedly.