The Court of Untold Prophecies

— one hundred years later —

Vel would never grow tired of these colors – the reds, oranges, yellows and greens. It was like staring into a jewelry box. The breeze ruffled her hair, it carried the scent of cedar and crackling fire. She heard a high-pitched shriek a moment later.

"MOOOOOOOOM!"

Vel sighed and marked her page before closing the book and setting it down next to her on the stone bench. There was the pitter-patter of light feet and then a small figure climbed onto the bench and buried its head in the crook of her neck.

"That's not fair! Get back down and fight like a real male." A messy head of flame-red hair wearing a coronet of twigs came into view from the Forest House corridor. His knobby arms waved a crudely carved wooden sword to the sky.

"Cedric, please stop chasing your brother with a sword."

"But moooom, we were playing Lords and Thieves. Alaric drew the thief so he needs to act like it!" Cedric crossed his arms and pouted.

"How come Alaric always draws the thief?" Vel mused, smoothing her younger son's hair.

"How would I know? Ask him." But a blush had already crept up Cedric's neck.

Before there could be any further argument Vel heard the sound of running footsteps. Eris came into view. A few strands of hair had broken free from his ponytail. Whatever remained of it was being pulled by the toddler clinging to his back.

"I'm sorry, love, I swear I only turned around for a second to tell Lys to f—" His eyes fell onto Cedric who was already grinning from ear to ear in anticipation. "Eh, I mean, I told him to go see to his duties instead of inciting violence between children."

"THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAID! I heard it! Dad told uncle Lys to fu—"

Vel covered Alaric's ears with both hands. She quickly cut her second oldest off.

"Cedric Vanserra. I swear to the gods if you repeat it in front of your younger brothers I will send you to scrub all the pots in the kitchen."

Cedric seemed inclined to argue but Eris picked him up by the back of his collar. The little menace tried to thwack him with the wooden sword. Eris opted to hold him upside down by his ankle instead. The crown of brambles fell to the ground. Alaric was upon it in a breath.

"Who's the thief and who's the lord, now?" Alaric blew a raspberry at his older brother, only to be scooped up by his father's other hand.

"C'mon troop, help me out here – I promised your mother she will have one uninterrupted hour of peace." His words did nothing to quell the chaos. At least Cedric and Alaric had stopped trying to fight each other in favor of allying against their father. On Eris's back Alden had somehow fallen asleep despite the racket.

"How about this? I have a mission for you. Whoever can track where Nestor went to hunt will get the first puppy of Ruby's next litter."

Eris gave her a brilliant smile before winnowing all four of them out of the garden.

The deja vu hit her in full force. She'd seen this exact vision a hundred years ago – the smile, the gaggle of shrieking children, the raw happiness on his face. Vel had assumed it had been a warning to stay away, proof that he will find joy with someone else. The dream had been sent by the Mother, indeed. Not a threat, but a gift – a singular glimpse into her own future.

 Not a threat, but a gift – a singular glimpse into her own future