The Bed Roll

TW: chapter is getting sexual

When they awoke the next day the weather was unchanged. There was only slightly more light than during the night. The thick grey clouds seemed intent on blocking out the sun. They packed what little belongings they had and continued their trek through the forest turned inhospitable. Given the storm it was difficult to hunt or fish, so they had to make do with crab apples, nuts, and berries that they found along the way. There was one stop they had to make, Lucien had explained, at a village near the Spring Court border. It was another day's hike, likely a day and a half with how much they struggled to navigate the terrain. But he knew a blacksmith in the village who could remove Vel's shackles and then they would hopefully both winnow away to safety.

"Where would you go?" she'd asked while trying to climb a slippery outcropping of rocks.

"I'm not sure yet. Life in the Autumn Court is all I've ever known." Lucien pushed her up from behind and she mumbled something under her breath. "I've always wanted to see the world. Perhaps I'll travel around for a while."

"Aren't you worried your family will hunt you down?" She had to raise her voice so that he would hear her over the sound of the wind and rain.

"I'll just have to make sure I won't stay too long in one place."

Vel crouched down and gave Lucien a hand up. "If you ever need somewhere to stay, my door will always be open to you. The Middle is not too glamorous but it has its charms."

"I appreciate that." There was a pause as they vaulted over the last few rocks. It was no vantage point – there was enough fog that they couldn't see further than a few feet ahead. "You know, when I was particularly naughty in my youth my mother used to threaten me that if I didn't behave she'd drop me off in the Middle and leave me there for a week. As children, we were taught only the most dangerous and unwanted faeries lived there." She bared her teeth at him in what was supposed to be a dangerous-looking snarl, but soaked from hair to toe and with her hair plastered to her face, she looked more like a miserable wet cat. Lucien chuckled. "I didn't mean it like that; more like beasts that can strip your flesh from bones and who delight in screams of pain like it is music. Although, I learned later you don't need to travel that far to meet such creatures."

Beron's face crossed her mind and Vel frowned. "There are some less pleasant beings living in the Middle. But as a guest of mine, you wouldn't need to worry about them." Lucien bowed his head in thanks.

They walked in silence for some time, the wind whipping at their frozen cheeks. The once vibrant forest looked rather bleak as shades of brown and gray merged.

"Hey Lucien, I know you've done a lot for me already but ... I need to ask one more favor."

Lucien turned to look at her, his expression a mix of curiosity and amusement. "Ask away, my lady. I am at your service."

Vel hesitated for a moment, choosing her words carefully. "I need you to promise that you won't tell anyone about any of this."

"Ah, I was hoping you would ask me to share your bed roll again tonight."

Vel punched his arm, blushing furiously. "Could you be serious for one moment?" She massaged her temples with icy fingers. "Also, it is not my bed roll." Lucien only grinned at her outraged expression, looking little inclined to curb his jesting. "I'm serious Lucien, you saw what happened when one High Lord wanted to get the upper hand."

"I'm sorry, I don't think it's a joke, I just ... I'm so used to deflecting with humor that I forget some situations call for gravity. And sometimes my pride gets in the way of my manners – I can never help myself from teasing a beautiful female." She gave him a pointed look but Lucien waved her off with a hand. "I'll protect your secrets, you don't even need to ask. I'll make up a story about my exile. But aren't you worried the rest of my family might say something?"