The Dawn Court II

The ire that had been bubbling just underneath the surface of her skin threatened to spill out.

"If you want proof that we are not scheming with Hybern," Rhysand said blandly to them all, "consider the fact that it would be far less time-consuming to slice into your minds and make you do my bidding."

Beron scoffed and Vel almost admired his audacity in the face of what was happening. Eris angled his body further to block the path towards his mother.

Rhys ignored Beron as he went on. "Yet here I am. Here we all are."

"Rhysand." Vel's voice was low. A warning.

"You are the mediator, yet you stand by as he flings insults at my mate."

"They were words, Rhys. Not knives. I will have none of that male posturing here."

He leveled a cool stare over her, the stars in his violet eyes swirling. For a moment, she thought it would come to blows. Magic coiled in her gut, waiting to deflect. When he didn't make a move to release his hold on Tamlin, Vel snapped her fingers. The low snarl that slipped from Tamlin was the only indication that the curse had been lifted. He made no move to attack, or even to speak.

Rhysand gave her a mocking smile. He might have said something more but Tarquin cleared his throat, diffusing the situation. He thanked the Night Court for their intervention in Adriata, and rescinded the blood rubies. Although the other High Lords seemed guarded still, some tension had seeped out of the room.

It only lasted for a moment. Then the bickering restarted. Eris's amber eyes slid over to Vel as they had so often during the past hour. This time, she made the mistake of meeting his gaze with her own as he played his well-rehearsed role, flinging insults at Rhys's inner circle, pretending he hadn't seen either of them in years.

Then something snapped. One moment, Azriel was seated. The next, he had flung himself over the reflection pool, tearing through Eris's shield with a flare of blue light. He tackled her mate backward, wood shattering beneath them.

"Shit," Vel and Cassian spat in unison. The Illyrian was already there, trying to get through the blue shields of Azriel's siphons.

Azriel had sealed them in, and as his scarred hands wrapped around Eris's throat— "Enough," Rhys said.

Azriel made no move to stop. He squeezed, Eris thrashing beneath him. He dug his knee—and all his weight—into Eris's gut. Silent, utterly silent as he ripped the air from Eris's body. Beron's flames struck the blue shield, over and over, but the fire skittered off and fizzled out on the water. Any that escaped were torn to shreds by shadows.

"Call off your overgrown bat," Beron ordered Rhys.

Vel made her way over to the two males on the other side of the pool. Her gown hissed behind her as she walked. One hand on Azriel's blue shield, then her fingers slipped right through, the Arachnae silk gloves slicing through the magic. She placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Stop Azriel." At the sound of his name from her lips he lifted his hazel eyes and pinned her with his gaze, evaluating the pain he saw on her face. His nostrils flared, anger and hate flashing over his features. But the hands around Eris's throat slackened.

Feyre was instantly at her side, taking her friend away. As Azriel went back with her, his shadows brushed against Vel.

We know your secret Oracle, they whispered. Stay away. You are not welcome in Velaris any longer.

Azriel threw her a look over his shoulder to confirm the furtive words. His eyes were hard. Underneath the anger and disappointment, she could read the bitterness, the heartache. He would tell them her secret, Vel realized. It was only a matter of time.