The Court of Remembrance

The price of being High Lord of the Autumn Court is my memories of her. Fate has a twisted sense of humor, balancing the mate I've just found against a five-hundred-year-old dream. But I've never been one to roll onto my back and accept the scraps thrown my way.

Fate is not what scares me. It is the obstinate, wicked female, who walks in its wake. She would seduce me only to pour poison down my throat as I sleep. I fear that sooner or later, she will have it her way. In those boundless green eyes I glimpsed a relentless determination. She is not used to being denied. The siren song of the magic she offers too loud. Perhaps in her many millennia of life, no male has ever rejected the Aether.

No matter. I will be prepared, whatever she decides to throw at me. Whatever she decides to bless me with — her presence, her touch, her skin on mine.

A whole paragraph was crossed out multiple times, making it illegible.

The Cauldron must have made her just to ruin me. Because otherwise, I cannot explain how my soul unraveled so thoroughly in her presence. In only a night.

She came. She wrecked me with her lips and fingers and body. And then she left. As if it all meant nothing to her.

With my brain muddled by the past few hours, it is a struggle to gather my wits enough to recount the events of the previous months. But I will do my best. Just in case these words will one day be the only thing standing between me and oblivion.

Vel came to the Autumn Court in the body of an owl. A large, brown, horned owl with white markings and green eyes. The size would be the first giveaway, but always check the eyes for the golden swirls around the iris. They ebb and flow like rivers in a forest.

The mating bond clicked the moment she tried to prod inside my mind

The mating bond clicked the moment she tried to prod inside my mind. I wasn't sure what it was at first, assumed it was some Daemati mind trick. I figured I had to keep her close. One way or another she would make a powerful ally.

In her first night in the Autumn Court, she tried to spy on Beron. Reckless, mad female. I knew already then, that there was something up her sleeve. How else would she have the arrogance to swagger through an unknown court – a place as unfriendly as the Autumn Court no less – looking for trouble?