Chapter 4

When I awoke I was in my bed.

I looked down at myself, feeling completely lost.

I wasn’t exactly positive on how I had gotten home. I remembered everything up to the point of the small spat between Rowan and I, and then nothing registered.

All I knew is that I had felt such a burning anger toward Rowan; to the point that I let my animalistic instincts take over.

That was the only downfall of shifting. Every emotion is multiplied by ten and it seems as though you’re constantly on your period.

If I had been in my human form and Rowan had yelled at me like that the worst thing I would have done was hit him. As a wolf though, I could do so much more damage. My instincts told me to show the brown wolf who was in charge, and my wolf was more than happy to comply. I wasn’t completely sure what that all entailed, but by the way my spirit was avoiding me I figured it couldn’t have been too great.

With a huff I vaulted off my bed, groaning as pain seared through my left calf.

I looked down, my eyes went wide when I saw the long angry red gash. It started from behind my knee and traveled all the way down to my ankle.

“Jesus Christ Rowan.” I swore under my breath as I checked for any other damage.

There were a few bruising spots and little cuts, but besides my leg there wasn’t anything that needed much attention.

My door flew open and my brother limped in. His sapphire eyes darkened as I only stared at him.

“If you’re looking for an apology you won’t find it in here.” I said truthfully. There was no way I would be the one to apologize. Not after what he said to me.

My arms crossed and I jutted out my chin stubbornly.

Rowan shut his eyes tightly and pinched the bridge of his nose; annoyance written all over his face.

“How’s your leg?” He asked suddenly.

I shrugged, even though it was really irritating me.

“I’ve had worse.”

Rowan visibly flinched, a pained expression on his face as he looked at me.

“I’m sorry. You know if I could have prevented it-”

“I know.” I cut him off and glanced away. He wasn’t only apologizing for the fight and my leg, but I didn’t want to think about my past right now.

“So how many new scars did I give you?” I asked, switching topics.

His blue eyes crinkled.

“You didn’t land a scratch.” He snorted.

My jaw dropped.

“You’re lying!” I accused, slapping him in the chest lightly.

He just continued to smile.

“Babe?” A new feminine voice called. “Where is the silver-ware?”

Rachel walked in her eyes going wide as she glanced between my brother and I.

“Oh! Morning Addie, how is your leg?” She offered me a small smile.

I grimaced at Rachel’s chipper voice.

It is way too early for this shit. I though bitterly.

“It’s okay, thank you.” I managed to choke out after Rowan gave me the stink eye.

“Great. When I saw your cut and Rowan’s back I almost had a heart attack.”

My eyes lit up, flashing to my brother’s darkening features.