Chapter 23

I was running full tilt and free. Birds sang in the tree's above while small animals darted out of the way.

The earth shifted underneath my powerful paws and I could hear my labored breathing as my legs pushed my body closer and closer to my target.

I finally caught up to the brown wolf just ahead of me. A happy bark jumped out of my mouth making his massive head turn, and I felt his bright green eyes casting on my face as we sprinted side-by-side. We weren't really sure where we were going, but at that moment neither of us cared.

Then clouds began forming in the once clear sky; dark clouds that carried rain and lightning. The wind changed to a eerie calm and the hair on the back of my neck stood.

Something was coming. My senses were going wild, and flashes of fear ran through my body.

I whined, making the wolf beside me slow down and give an uneasy bark.

I was too focused on why I was feeling so weird to notice the shadow racing toward us. The black wolf jumped with an evil snarl. The thunderous sound reached me just as the dangerously sharp claws pierced my stomach.

*

With a surprised inhale of breath, I woke up. My sweaty fingers automatically went to the jagged scar just above my abdomen.

It was just a dream. My wolf said sternly.

I closed my eyes, knowing that it wasn't only a dream but also a twisted memory.

I sighed, keeping my eyes closed as I heard a door being opened. As soon as my sense of smell picked up his scent I let out a groan and threw my arm over my face. I tried to normal my breathing as best as I could. The last thing I wanted was for my mate to be worried about me.

He had been surprisingly caring during the first days of my return. Actually, all of the boys have been understanding. Everyone has been trying to catch me up to what has been happening in the One Direction world, and even Zayn has taken the time to explain things to me. They no longer asked me why I had left, but I think that was mainly Paul's doing. He was feeding them the story that I had only left to help my brother set up for the wedding. It was a pretty good lie, I guess.

Harry has been trying to get closer to me, and I have surprisingly let him. I'm still cautious when the boys are around, and Harry understands why. I'm not quite sure if I want anyone to know about our relationship yet. Of course, they would only see it as us dating and not being connected with the outrageous 'mate' thing.

Well, I hoped so anyway.

When we are alone Harry is so sweet. I'm embarrassed to say that his kind words have made me blush a few times. His understanding and innocent personality is refreshing considering I have grown up around cold-blooded killers. He has really shown himself to me these last few days.

Like now. He was trying his darnedest not to wake me up, but I was not the cleanliest of the group, and he was repeatedly tripping over the clothes all over the floor. Finally he reached the edge of my bed and the bed dipped. There was a new presser on the side of my stomach that traveled all the way down my arm leaving tingles along the skin.

"Harry." I acknowledged opening one eye and meeting his mocking smirk with one of my own.

"Morning love."

I sighed, unable to deny that I didn't like the sound of his voice in the morning.

"Did you sleep okay?" He asked, sliding down to the floor beside my bed and leaning his head on the mattress.