Chapter 24

Even though I can see that he is more wary of me, Harry has accepted what I am. After our talk that morning he seemed to look at me differently; not in a disgusted way, but more like he was trying to see something that was waiting just under the surface of my skin. He was looking for signs of my wolf in my human form.

For a while I was happy about his curiosity. I thought that it was better that he wanted to see what my animal spirit was like compared to him being totally afraid of me.

"So what can you do that is different from what I can do?" He had asked one evening while we were running errands for Paul. "Is there some sort of superpower that you have?"

I snorted, rolling my eyes at the term 'superpower'.

"Sharers have the same senses in human form as they do as their animal." I said shortly. I still felt uncomfortable talking about myself, but Harry would only push for more information.

"So what does that mean for you?" He asked. I rolled my eyes at his persistence.

"You know, I can hear, smell, see things that you can't. I'm also a lot stronger. Wolves are natural born predators." When I stole a look at his expression, I couldn't help but laugh at his horrified face.

"So you could probably kick my ass." He said, motioning for me to go ahead of him as he held the door to the store we had arrived at.

I bowed my head as I walked in, taken aback from his kind gesture. I could already feel my cheeks warming, and when he put his hand at my back I felt a shiver go down my spine.

With wolves physical contact between two pack members was sort of like stamping someone as his or her own. The more contact there is, the more the smell of the two individuals combine. Males normally do this to females that they want as their own. A male will rub their scent all over the female, and then if another pack member takes an interest in that female and smells the other males scent, he will know that she is off limits. It wards off all of the other bachelors in the pack from mating with an already marked female.

I didn't want to think of Harry and I's relationship like this. According to my wolf-Harry was mine. He was my mate, and if I didn't want anyone else to take him I needed to mark him. Of course I wouldn't be doing that anytime soon, seeing as that meant I would have to leave my permanent scent on him by biting him.

And no, he wouldn't turn into a wolf if I bite him. Rowan told me that if a Sharer marks someone, it simply strengthens the bond between the two.

Still, it would be extremely painful for him, and I didn't want to put him through any unnecessary pain. Also, if I were to mark him he would have my scent. He would be susceptible to any attacks from my parents if they somehow found me again. I couldn't have that risk.

I guess what I'm most uncomfortable with is the fact that if he were considered mine, then I would also be his. I didn't like the idea of being owned by someone. I've been in that position for the last 18 years, and I was not going to go back. I wanted to have a choice and not have to answer to someone else.

I knew that Harry and I's relationship is far from what my parents and I had. He is innocent and, unlike my father, he would never force me to do something that I didn't want to do.

My eyes burned with angry tears as I thought about my father. He was sadistic and mad. For much of my life he forced me to cut my hair and act as if I were a boy; I was only 6. He was in denial that he had a daughter that had the Sharer gene, and he wanted me to be the opposite gender. He would beat me if I ever chose something that was remotely feminine. Dresses and makeup were out of the question. Any form of pink was eliminated from my life. I guess even now I still act more like a guy then a girl.