Chapter 17

Mason carefully stepped into the room first, his cat-like eyes darting all around.

"Do you sense anything?" I asked immediately earning myself a glare. I quieted, mumbling an apology. All I wanted was to know if it was safe or not. The fact that Harry was so close to a potential danger made me anxious, and my wolf and I both agreed that if this was a intended attack from my parents there was no way we would allow anything to happen to him. We had to eliminate the threat. That was the only thing that kept the imobalizing fear away.

I motioned to Mason, pointing at the rooms down the hall. We had already finished a thorough search of the kitchen and living room. The bedrooms were the only other places the intruder, or intruders, could be.

"You take Rowan's room, I will look in mine." I whispered to a stern looking Mason. Something about his expression made me pause. "What's the matter?"

Green eyes met mine, confused. They seemed to glow in the dark of the apartment.

"I don't know. This doesn't seem like something your parents would do. They aren't the type of people to lay low, and if they truely knew you were here they would have sent their army to drag you out."

I flinched at the mental picture, but slowly his words sank in. This couldn't be my parent's doing. It's too human.

"So you're thinking this is a mundane attack? Someone is just breaking in to steal some pricey shit?" My anger was boiling over and I felt myself smile sinisterly. If it was a petty burglary whoever was in here was going to regret their decision on picking this apartment.

I ripped through my room, throwing clothes all over the place as I checked every nook and cranny. Finally after 10 minutes of searching I stopped, pausing and turning to the only real place big enough to hide a body.

The lights were still off, but with my enhanced vision I could see small movements from the little vents on my closet doors.

I felt a rush run through me. It was like the feeling I got while hunting with my wolf. It was pure adrenaline.

I took a calming breath and started toward the doors, growling slightly due to how tense my wolf was.

Just as I was about to touch the doorknob, the closet suddenly flew open, revealing a small hooded figure. It dashed out of the room at an inhumane speed before I could even blink.

I knew then that it wasn't just a human. I saw the flash that his eyes reflected from the light in the hallway. Whoever that was had sharer blood, and I wasn't going to let them get away.

"Mason!" I yelled, alerting him from the other room. I heard a snarl and a loud thump. Immediately I thought that the intruder had been caught, but when I ran  out of my room I only found Mason leaning against the hallway wall, a surprised expression on his face.

"Where did he go?" I asked, looking around the apartment with wild eyes.

Mason huffed, shooting me daggers.

"Don't ask if I'm okay or anything." He spat bitterly. "Whoever it was is gone."

I gave him an incredulous look. "You let him get away?"

"It's not like I held the door open and offered him a gift basket. He pushed me out of the way!"

I was pissed. That guy could be wandering this building, waiting for us to let our guard down. And we had just allowed him to get away?

I shook my head, cursing as I kicked one of the chairs beside me.

"What do we do now? It isn't safe here anymore." I said, looking at the floor and feeling hopeless.