Prologue

"Why do you want to work at Styles Corporations?"

I heard the clock ticking in this beautiful big office of which every ambitious person dreamt about. Modern. Black. Grey. White. Clean.

Stop thinking about the office dammit. Think about what smart things you could say to actually get hired, because this is it. This is make or break time. This is the moment you've been waiting for, you've been studying for, for four bloody years. This is what people expect of you. Don't be nervous, don't think about failing, only think about something smart to say.

I was so nervous. Every muscle in my body was tight and stiff. I felt drops of sweat dripping from my armpit onto my long sleeved white blouse. Hopefully there weren't any visible marks.

Think of something smart to say, think of something smart to say, think of something smart to say.

"Well...uhm...honestly? I could really use the pay check at the end of the month."

Oh. My. God. I did not just say that out loud.

Of all the things I could've said, I did not just choose that. Right, I was bloody screwed.

I looked up at Mr Payne, head of the HR department of Styles Corporations, one of the biggest and most successful investment bureaus in England and soon the entire world. Yet I saw something I didn't expect to see, a smile and not just any smile, no...a big one.

"I like your honesty, Miss Peterson." He said with a nice, caring voice.

"Well, honesty will get you the furthest. That's what my father always used to say." I tried to hide the obvious colour of embarrassment on my cheeks by looking at my hands in my lap.

Say something to save your skin, Mia. Please.

"Obviously, Mr Payne, money isn't the only reason why I would love to work here." He looked at me with a questioning eye and again a smile. I took this as a sign to continue my attempts of not drowning in the sea of 'making this interview even worse'

"I've heard many good things about this company. It would be the perfect and challenging start of a promising career, and that is what I want. My professors at the university I attended, told me that you were looking for young and ambitious employees." I looked up and made eye contact,

"Well here I am, young, ambitious and ready to do almost everything to earn my place in this safe haven, because let's face it, it really is one. I haven't forgotten to check the opportunities that may be handed to me because of this company. It's a win win situation, really." I continued.

"And why is that? What is there for us to win?" Mr Payne asked me, looking very interested and even intrigued.

"Well, you would win me. A dedicated employee to the bone." I tried to make a statement as if it was the most obvious thing, without making me sound too arrogant.

"Well, your resume is very interesting, honest as well. I had all the credits of your previous employers and schools checked and they all confirmed. You're quite the success story, Miss Peterson."

"Please, call me Mia and no, not the success story. I've got relatively little experience. I just try my hardest at whatever I do, until now, I was lucky enough to be surrounded by such generous people." I tried to explain as modestly as I could.

But it was true. I was a success story, not in my personal life, but professionally and academically, I was the top of the bill. I was the brilliant student with all the credits, but with zero friends. I had worked really hard for what I had achieved but my glory brought me into uncomfortable situations, especially on a social level. I wasn't someone who bragged, unlike other people I knew, yet with that said glory came jealousy. It was an inevitable thing.

"Ok, Mia. I think I have all the information I need. You will hear from us." Mr Payne stood up and I immediately rose from my chair as well while accepting his hand to shake it.

"Thank you, Mr Payne, for having me here and sorry for taking up your time."

"No apologies necessary, dear. It was my pleasure. Thank you for coming in so late. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

I stepped towards the door and turned around one more time to smile and say my hopefully not last goodbye to the caring Mr Payne.