33

RAHUL'S P.O.V

I was in a deep sleep when someone's legs kept disturbing me. I pushed that person away and heard a whine, which finally made me open my eyes.

I looked to my side and saw Simi sleeping with her mouth slightly open. Some things never change.

She put her legs on me again while sleeping. I slowly removed them and got out of bed.

My eyes fell on the clock, which showed that it was already past Simi's school time. Did Mom not wake her up?

I made my way to Mom's bakery since it was already time for her to open it.

"Mom, you didn't wake Simi up for school," I said as she looked up at me from her muffins.

"I did. But she just went to your room and slept. So I let her do it since you don't spend much time at home due to your hospital work. Simi must be missing you, Rahul, and I know you have off today," Mom said, making me roll my eyes.

She probably doesn't miss me. She feels happy when I'm not here. And she has enough guts to go out at night.

"By the way, do you know the factory side behind the subway? The police caught a few people there taking drugs... and doing other stuff too. I'm not criticizing Kanak, I know she's putting efforts to get over her addiction, but I feel so blessed that my Simi isn't involved in these things. I mean, not just drugs, she doesn't even party or do all the things teenagers do nowadays," Mom said with a smile. I should burst her happy bubble.

"And I would like to thank you too. You actually took good care of her along with me. So thanks for helping me in taking care of her."

"I didn't do anything. Your daughter is as spoiled as today's kids," I replied.

"No, she isn't. She never defies us. My Simi is not like them. She doesn't even talk back," Mom said, sounding a little angry. It seems like if I tell her about yesterday's event, she'll beat me first.

"Yeah, she's not like some kids out there. And I'll make sure she doesn't let her curiosity get the best of her," I mutter to myself before leaving her bakery.

Just as I make my way to my room, I'm met with a tight hug. Simi wraps her arms around me and starts sobbing.

"Sorry," she says, looking up at me. I slap her hand away and take out my clothes.

"Bhaiya," she says.

"Did you have any drinks there out of curiosity?" I ask sternly. She shakes her head, wiping her tears.

"I'm sorry."

"Simran, you'll be more than just sorry. You snuck out at night? What time did you leave the house?"

Instead of giving me a verbal response, she shows me one finger. Just great, she left the house at one.

"Who is this friend who took you to a party?"

Simi shakes her head, probably not wanting to get her friend into trouble. But she herself is in trouble.

"Simarn," I raise my voice. I show my palm to her, which makes her sob.