The Early Call

I startled awake as my ringtone suddenly blasted. I tried to ignore it, but it was really annoying. I rolled to the edge with my face buried on the pillow and blindly searched for my phone. The caller ID flashed Cubbie’s name, why the hell is he calling me at three in the morning? I mean, can’t he wait a little later? I let it go through voicemail, but then he called again. Why? “It’s three in the morning.” No answer, “Hello? Cubbie? Did you butt dial my number?”

“Ally.” His voice was shaky and delicate,

“Cubbie? What’s wrong? Why do you sound like that?”

“Level twenty!” He cried in pain,

“What’s going on there? Are you okay?”

“Ally?” He hissed in pain, I could tell.

“Cubbie, are you okay?  I can’t understand you.”

“Mark… Go… Go talk to her…”

“What?” There was no answer, but then I heard something that made my heart stop. “What the hell is that? Tell me you got pulled over! Tell me you got pulled over!”

“Hello?”

“Mark, what is that? Tell me you got pulled over. What is that noise? Let it be the cops.” I prayed,

“It’s not the cops…” He hesitated, “It’s uh… It’s the ambulance…”

“No!” I sat up straight, “Are you serious?”

“Ally, there are two or maybe even three ambulances here. We got into an accident.”

“Is everyone okay?” Earlier today, I got bad news from Andy, and now this? Can life get any harder? Of course it can, and it will. Why does all of this have to happen in one day?

“Uh… Yea…” He said uncertainly,

“Don’t lie to me, Foster.” I gritted,

“Well…” He said reluctantly for a long time. Oh shit, I don’t like where this is going.

“Why did Cubbie say ‘twenty’? What’s wrong with him?”

“He kinda dislocated his shoulder, and I do not want to see it.”

“He dislocated his shoulder?”

“Looks like it, and he’s in pain right now- Cubbie, too tight! You’re breaking my wrist!”

“Is he okay?”

“Yea, they’re going to fix him.”

“You guys seriously got into an accident?”

“Unfortunately, yes. Can you not hear the ambulance and Cubbie?”

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yea, I’m fine. Just had a quick shower with a cup of boiling hot coffee. Aside from that, I’m fine.” He sassed,

“At least it’s not as bad as Cubbie.”

“You mean Pontius?” He blurted, and I heard him giving himself a smack in, I’m guessing his forehead.

“What? What’s wrong with Pontius?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean ‘you don’t know’?”

“You might want to sit down, I don’t know how to put this...”

“Mark, what’s wrong with him? What happened to him?”

“First, he kinda got a bloody forehead, a small one, don’t worry.” He paused for a very long time, “And second… He’s uh… He’s unconscious…”

“What? How?”

“I don’t know, that’s how I found him.”

“Ally, get to the hospital right now!” Cubbie screamed in pain, loud enough to be heard over ambulances’ sirens. “Please!”

“Cubbie, are you okay?”

“Get your chubby cheeks to the hospital right now!” How can Cubbie manage to make a joke at a time like this? I chuckled,

“I’m sorry to call you at this time.” Mark was back,

“Why are you apologizing? You got into an accident.”

“Touché. Just head to the hospital right now, we’re on our way!”

“I’ll be right there! Hang tight!” I pressed my face in frustration. First my big brother, and now my friends? I grabbed my hoodie that was hung on the chair and my car keys. I didn’t even bother to change my basketball shorts. I raced to my car and quickly ignited it to life. As I was rushing towards the hospital, there were many questions that were occupying my mind. How did it happen? How bad was it? Is Pontius okay? How bad is his bloody forehead? How are they? Is Cubbie okay? Is everyone else okay? They’re tour is over, right? It is.