So I Go Back

I got home and dumped my bag on the couch. It took two hours to get back to my apartment, thanks to traffic. I felt tired as hell being stuck in a cab for two hours, but not sleepy, just tired. I did not know what I was thinking, but my legs took me to my car and I started to drive back to the hospital. I got there quickly and walked towards the entrance. I put my hoodie on, just incase the whole paparazzi thing happened again. The twitter hate died down since they tweeted about it, I owe them one. My hands were in my pockets as I made my way to the entrance and to Pontius’s room. I saw Mark standing in front of the vending machine, looking up and down, deciding what to get. I smirked, thinking of a fad idea. I fixed my glasses and snuck behind him, he was deeply involved in the dilemma of having to choose between Snickers or Mars. I heard Mark humming the classics Pumped Up Kicks, that tends to get stuck in your head from time to time. “I’d take the Snickers if I were you.” I said aloud, slamming my hand onto the vending machine. “That’s a great song, by the way.” Mark startled and snapped his head to me, “It’s great to see you again.” I slowly nodded, grinning annoyingly.

“Ally?” He slowly blinked a few times, “What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be at the airport!” He frowned,

“I was, I was…” I said, leaning against the machine. “But long story short, my flight got cancelled.”

“What?” He snorted, annoying me.

“Bye.” I spat, rolling my eyes and started to walk away, “I’m sorry, I’ll go back to the airport and sleep there.”

“Wait! I’m sorry!” He grabbed my wrist, still managing a chuckle. “Your flight’s canceled?” He tried to remain a serious expression, but failed and I nodded. “No wonder you looked pissed.”

“Thank you, Captain Obvious.” I mumbled, rolling my eyes again.

“So uh… When will you leave? This time…”

“Four days.”

“Okay.” He nodded, handing me a bar of Snickers. “Cheer up, at least you’ll still get the next ticket. You’re still going home.” He pinched my cheek and smirked. We made our way to Pontius’s room, he has not moved an inch and Sean was asleep on the couch. I listened to Pontius’s heartbeat; it was beating a little faster. It was as if he was trying to get out of his body, which has shut down in the mean time and that he is this bundle of energy who always has something to do. “He’s been like that since you told him that you’re going away.” Mark whispered as I swallowed a lump on my throat. I glanced at Mark, then at Pontius. I approached Sean and tried to wake him up,

“Get up.” I patted his cheek a few times,

“What?” He groaned, rubbing his eyes. He squinted his eyes at me weirdly, “What are you doing here?”

“Couch potatoes are inseparable.” I shrugged,

“No, you did not just do that.” He slightly gaped,

“No, I wouldn’t leave my brother hanging.” I shook my head and chuckled, “My flight got canceled.”

“Seriously?”

“No, I was just kidding. You’re seeing things, and I’ve brought you a bag of torpedoes, just like you ordered.”

“That’s not funny.” He winced and frowned,

“Well, why do you think I’m here?” I scoffed,

“You’re flight’s canceled.” He murmured,

“Yes, good answer.” I nodded in agreement,

“I’m glad your flight’s canceled.” He grinned innocently, and I glared at him. “I’m sorry, I was just kidding.”

“You look tired.” Mark stated and I turned to face him,

“I was stuck in traffic for two hours.” I pouted and lolled into the plastic chair right next to Pontius, “I’m so energetic right now.”

“I’m sorry you’re pissed.” Mark chuckled, patting my head.

“Yea, thanks for the comfort.” I raised my eyebrows with my eyes on the ground, pursing my lips.

“You’ll be alright.” Sean smiled tightly,

“Sometimes life it takes you by the-”

“Alright, alright.” I interrupted Mark’s annoying singing, “Shut up before security comes here and kicks you out.”

“I’ll take that as a friendly reminder.”

“It’s supposed to be a threat.” I coldly said with a poker face. He snorted and approached me,

“Why are you so annoying sometimes?” He smiled ironically, his face inches from mine and sent shivers down my spine.

“Because that’s who I am, and don’t forget weird. I’m weird too.” I added, pushing his face with my finger on his forehead.

“That’s obvious.” He agreed, I’m cool with it. “Everybody’s weird in their own special way.”

“I’m not.” Sean objected. Mark and I gazed at him disapprovingly,

“You are.” Mark finally said,

“Okay, fine.” Sean grunted in defeat,

“What is life without weirdness?” I added,

“Some words, grasshopper.” Mark said wisely, mimicking a kung fu master.

“Call me whatever you want.” I sighed, avoiding further debates.

“Call it what you want! Eh eh eh call it what you want!” Mark and Sean sang.

“Shut up! You’re seriously going to get kicked out!” I scolded, but managed to laugh.

“You can’t stay mad at us.” Mark shrugged, and I kind of agreed with him. We talked without having to look at each other’s faces. The last time I saw them, Mark was staring outside the window while Sean watches the television. My arm was leaning on Pontius’s bed while my head was resting on it; I was too lazy to move anyways. My fingers going up and down from Pontius’s elbow to his knuckled. We talked and talked until we trailed into silence, everyone fell asleep. It was around midnight anyways.